What Do You Think Of Craftsman PowerTools Today?

esteve999

Their Craftsman C3 cordless line up is the same as the Ryobi One+ system sold at Home Depot. The Craftsman Bolt on is the same as the Black and Decker Matrix system made by Stanley Black and Decker. On Corded tools Craftsman picks and chooses from many different power tool manufacturers.

it looks like they are designed for the homeowner up to the serious diy in mind, not that there's anything wrong with that. They do have some very interesting tools like the new mach stuff and that cordless miter saw. I think they have an older 18 or 19v circular saw that uses full size blades. I think their trying to get rid of their nextec 12v line

• Like 1

I had a Craftsman 7-1/4" Sliding miter saw. It was awesome and I had it for about ten years. I sold it on CL to a professional woodworker in Wells Maine. He loves those saws for flooring. I still have my Dad's OLD 7-1/4" circular saw and a 10" Radial Arm saw that is awesome though I don't use it in my shop any longer (no room)! I haven't used the cordless tools but the C3 line is supposed to be a pretty decent DIY tool made by Ryobi. People love the Ryobi line so...

About two years ago I bought a craftsman pro saws-all.  I was skeptical as the new stuff comes from overseas and some folks on many tool boards rip on craftsman pretty hard.

The saw has just fine.  I've cut body mount bolts, truck frames, dom tubing, plate steel, schedule 40 and 80 pipe with it.

I'd recommend this saw for the most heavy of use. 

I wish I had some experience with the newer stuff but alas... I will say, unrelated, I had the Ryobi 10" Contractors Saw. The Craftsman was identical except the colors. Don't know factually that is was a rebranded Ryobi but it looked crazily like the other. I sold the saw and glad I did. But my two older Craftsman are USA made and great saws. I won't give them up. My Dad gave them to me and when I build my garage / woodshop, I will use my radial arm.

The newer stuff is one of those "good enough" type situations IMO. It'll get you by, but thats about it. It's no match for most of Milwaukee, Dewalt, Bosch, or even Makita's offerings. 

There was a time when Craftsman power tools were some of the best out there. Those days long gone. 

• Like 1

When I think of the newer craftsman power tools. I compared it to Ryobi, Black and Decker nowdays. The old corded one they made are great. Every single saw my landlord owned are craftsman. Ciruclar saw, Table saw, Miter saw and tile saw. They all look like at least 10years old. But they all work great. I think they still make decent quality corded tools, but definitely not cordless tools. Like conductor said, there was a time when Craftsman power tools were some of the best out there. Those days long gone!

I am considering adding some power tools to my collection. I have many Craftsman tools and I have always trusted Craftsman, but I am not so sure today with their newer power tool products.

What do you think? Is Craftsman still a good choice  power tools?

You know I think we collectively get side tracked when people ask a question like this. We all have brands that we know and trust to get the job done day in and day out. I think what you really should do is research the lines out there, figure out what price point you are WILLING and COMFORTABLE spending and go the upper end of your analysis. I buy tools now that I am confident will stay with me many years so I end up spending a lot for those tools. Consequently if I don't think I need it, I try not (yeah right) to buy it. With that said, most peoe on TiA are very much about a particular brand or two. I am one of these. I try to buy into a line that I can expand upon. Cordless is a really great way to do this. Batteries and chargers are not interchangeable so when you make your choice keep that in mind. The participants in TiA are really expert in their opinions so trust what you read and see on the TiA web site and Forum. Watch YouTube videos and be cognizant that you are about to embark on an epic journey! Have fun with it!