Multimeter recommendation

NicholasShetley

I have a few multimeters and use them everyday. My all time favorite meter is the Fluke 87V, it's overkill for a mechanic or DIY guy but it's the best general purpose meter so if you have the money I would get an 87V. Also, there is no reason not to get an auto ranging meter. Although I do not have the MM1000 I can say Klein makes solid meters and I would trust the MM1000, however...

The MM1000 does not measure RMS and is not a high impedance meter. Root Mean Square is a method of averaging a varying magnitude. It's important because AC is a sinusoid wave with poor regulation. Often people talk about house voltage and define it as a different value, 110/115/120v AC. Partly due to poorly regulated AC but more often because of the way the measurement was taken.

In fact I spoke with a few engineers at Fluke, they confirmed that the only reason they even make a non-RMS meter is because a lot of Mil-SPECs that were written before the RMS standard are still used. Meaning the in some cases, military can only buy a non RMS meter. (Stupid!)

Anyway, true RMS might not be important to you, and if all your going to do with your meter is DC, (auto) then the MM1000 is a great cheap meter. However, I would take a look at the Klein MM2000. Is a few dollars more but it gives you more features that bring the meter into the realm of professional vs hobby.

If you're going to make a living in the field, the Mac RS232 is an awesome set for automotive use. At $289 it's steep, but if you qualify for a student discount through a technical program or something, it's a bargain!

http://www.mactools.com/shoponline/product/tabid/120/p-329256-digital-multi-meter-with-rs232-and-backlit-display.aspx

Mac also has a more basic EM700 auto ranging, true RMS meter for $179. With the discount you'd be under $100.

http://www.mactools.com/shoponline/product/tabid/120/p-318782-true-rms-didital-multi-meter.aspx

Don't get me wrong, I love MAC tools, but .. If I'm spending that kind of money I am going to buy a Fluke.

Fluke is the standard, MAC is the new guy.. A good name brand but MAC doesn't invest as much into meters as Fluke, or even Klein.

Same concept goes for hand tools, I would buy a MAC over a Fluke wrench.

Although the MAC meter is a good tool, the only reason to buy it over a Fluke or Agilent (HP) is to match your other tools.

Much like buying an Apple vs a PC, when you get down to the engineering level of components on a PC Board, with the Apple your paying more for less. Guess it's all about marketing.

Mac doesn't R&D or produce the meter. Mac meters are made by Fluke. I say Mac because they are designed for his line of work and he'll have an easier time warrantying or obtaining service through Mac if he's working in the industry.

Come on EE, you didn't think I was that dumb did you? :lol:

Mac doesn't R&D or produce the meter. Mac meters are made by Fluke. I say Mac because they are designed for his line of work and he'll have an easier time warrantying or obtaining service through Mac if he's working in the industry.

Come on EE, you didn't think I was that dumb did you? :lol:

No, your not dumb Mr. Conductor... but why buy a fluke meter that's re-badged? It will cost more in the long run. Although the student discount is nice, thats a great find.

As far as the RS232, that not a very useful feature. Most computers don't even have an RS232 port so count on buying an adapter. Also, I use RS232 a lot for microcontroller projects to talk to my PC but not much for viewing my meter. On some occasions I do use it to save data points but I think for automotive stuff a meter doesn't need to log data points. A scope will work much better.

Dave Jones has done a very in-depth meter reviews, including the $100 shoot-out. Its worth a look.

It comes with the USB adaptor. A lot of code scanners still use the RS232 port. It may have something to do with that.

My recommendation was based on the fact the he plans on working in the auto industry and will be entitled to a student discount. This allows him to get the Mac fluke meter for less than a fluke meter, plus he gets some accessories and software designed for his line of work. How can he go wrong?

I am curious though. How will a Mac branded Fluke cost more than a Fluke branded Fluke in the long run? They are the exact same meter.

Rebranded macs are not always the same..kinda off track. But my co worker had a pnuematic 3/8 impact..look identical to the IR version and was made by IR. The mac guy never came around to this dealer anymore so he couldnt get it fixed when it broke... Snap on sold the IR version. So my coworker gave it to the snap on guy to send out and they couldnt fix it.they said mac changed something in the gun and they couldn't get parts for it. And that mac gun was stronger then my matco 3/8 gun which is IR. If his mac dealer disappears like ours did might make things difficult. Just food for thought...remember all tool trucks have fluke. If the mac version is identical then it dont matter i guess...lol

Mac has a good mail in warranty option for such situations.

Maybe they started this after your friend had the issue?

That story sounds fishy to me. Mac doesn't change anything on a rebranded item. They might order it to certain specs, but they don't really have the ability to change stuff on things like that. Sounds like the Snappy guy wanted to sell a new impact.

I am looking at getting a good multimeter for automotive use. I was either thinking Klein or Fluke. I would like one that measures amperage as well. Auto ranging is not nessecary. I am leaning towards the Klein mm1000 currently.

That Klein mm1000 will only measure amperage up to 10 amps, not sure how well it will work for automotive purposes. I would get a mm500 and get a good amp meter that measures a little bit more accurate. I have one of the project managers emails for the testing and measurement at klein tools if you want?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...