new wrench set advice

BIGBEARJT

I should add that no shitty scheme or reduction in quality would surprise me coming from Apex/Danaher. I avoid them at all costs.

Danaher retained Matco as it's sole brand back during the formation of Apex, and even it's went to shit. I don't know if Matco sells a single tool anymore that you can't buy elsewhere for half the money. Even the Matco 88 ratchets can be had in some form from Armstrong which is owned by Apex now.

Matco sucks and has really went to shit IMO.

Is there anything the Danaher/Apex group doesnt destroy? 

Its sad that companies think we want cheap junk tools.  I like my tools to last like most other toolnuts like us.  Im lucky I bought alot of Craftsman tools when I was a teenager back in the 90's they still all work awesome,I havent even walked into a sears store in ages.

There are some decent Armstrong sockets and such that ive seen take crazy abuse from people. 

I tend to buy USA,Japanese,German,Swiss made tools not particularly in that order,depends on the type of tool.

I should add that no shitty scheme or reduction in quality would surprise me coming from Apex/Danaher. I avoid them at all costs.

Danaher retained Matco as it's sole brand back during the formation of Apex, and even it's went to shit. I don't know if Matco sells a single tool anymore that you can't buy elsewhere for half the money. Even the Matco 88 ratchets can be had in some form from Armstrong which is owned by Apex now.

When was the last time you were on a matco truck? What Chinese gearwrench tools failed on you?

Not all Gearwrench stuff is China, but some is. The ratcheting combos are. All those sets Sears has for sale on Black Friday are China made.

The Gearwrench faithful claims there are 2 separate lines, one China, one Taiwan, but I don't believe that. I believe they switched production to China and it's taken awhile to disperse with the leftover Taiwan stuff.

Man conductor when I saw these sets at Sears for low prices I was like wtf in 2008 I bought my gearwrench set for almost $200 bucks off the snap on guy that comes by the shop I k ow that was a couple years ago and I didnt k ow as much about tools as I do know or else I wouldn't have spent that much now seeing all these other brands coming out with great tools also. It's just sad that there being made in China now......

When was the last time you were on a matco truck? What Chinese gearwrench tools failed on you?

As far as the Matco truck, it's been a year or so. A guy here in town sold Matco for awhile and when I crossed paths with him at the gas station, I'd check it out. He didn't make it all that long. He's selling Tek brand tires off the same truck now. There are some fine tools on the Matco truck, but nothing you can't get from somewhere else for less. There's a lot of that on all the trucks, but it seems to be worse with Matco.

As for the Chinese Gearwrenches, they haven't failed on me because I don't own any and won't own any. Could they be as good as the older Taiwan sets I have? Sure they could, but I'm not betting on it and I'm sure Apex didn't make the switch to improve the quality.

If somebody has to ask what type of wrenches they should buy any brand will probably work fine for them. After awhile they will realize if the cheapest tool will or will not work for them. It is called experience and it comes from doing it.

Of course a tool truck will not be a good value for a shadetree'r.

I have a bunch of gearwrench that has never failed me and I have no idea where it was made. It's not my favorite brand but it is priced right.

I have a bunch of matco too. I like the brand but it also is not my favorite. But saying they suck and the brand went to shit is not at all valid unless you are a professional wrencher.

I would like to get me some Matco pinless universal impact sockets, but that's about all...

I would like to get me some Matco pinless universal impact sockets, but that's about all...

BK: I think the patent is up on the pinless impacts. Pretty sure someone else is selling them now.

I could be wrong about that, but I swear I saw someone else who was selling them.

Vango: Let me rephrase. Matco's association with Danaher and their lack of unique or exclusive products has caused me to lose interest in the brand.

Matco has lost alot of my attention aswell... Everything they sell, is just rebranded tools.. I rarley see something from them that is exclusive to the name matco. Screwdrivers by whitte, driverbits by irwin, air impacts rebranded IR.. If u go on the cornell truck u can get the same products from the original maker for less. Matco truck is almost the same as a cornwell truck..i wrench everyday, and i see the matco guy every monday. But i will defend they make a bitching toolbox:) my two pennies

BK: I think the patent is up on the pinless impacts. Pretty sure someone else is selling them now.

I could be wrong about that, but I swear I saw someone else who was selling them.

Well, I know that Armstrong and CM uni impact sockets are, with the exception of depth, identical...