Plasma cutter recommendation

NicholasShetley

My grandpas old ESAB plasma cutter bit the dust the other day and he is looking for a new one. He is looking at the Eastwood plasma and tig welder combo that they have for $1000. Do you guys have any experience with the Eastwood plasma cutters or have any good recommendations. One that can cut around 3/8 to 1/2 thick would be ideal. It doesn't need to have a built in air supply and 110 or 220 volt will work. Something in the $1000 range would be great. Thanks for the help.

That's funny you say that. I told Mrs. Conductor yesterday I was going to order the Plasma/180 Mig combo when I get my taxes back.

I don't have an extensive knowledge of them, but everything I've seen has been from people happy with what they got for the money.

I like the Hobart Airforce cutters as the generate their own air, but the Eastwood's are hard to pass on at their price.

• 4 weeks later...

Well my grandpa has checked the price on a hypertherm plasma cutter capable of cutting 1/2 and it is $2200. I found the Eastwood plasma 60 and the ac/dc 200 tig welder kit for only $1100 (he wants to get into tig welding so this would be ideal). I think he is leaning towards this kit and I have looked on various welding forums and found that many people are satisfied with them and their customer service is top notch. If you are interested Conductor you should check out the Hot Rod magazine as they have Eastwood coupons. They had one for $350 off of this kit.

• 3 weeks later...

Just know that the eastwood machine is a hobbyist or DIY'er machine and not something you would find in a professional shop.  I just got a miller plasma and it was $1300 and it uses a lot of hypertherm's parts.  Just make sure to also plumb a filter in the air line to keep good air coming to the machine and you will love what today's plasma technology has over anything from even ten years ago. 

We have an old plasma that is 20-25 years old at my old mans place and its bigger than the old Lincoln red tombstone's (old stick welder everyone has or has used) and its heavy and large and bulky and compared to my new miller which is tiny and cuts better there is no comparison.

My grandpa is now looking at getting a hypertherm powermax 45 now. I found one for $1625 new and with a few consumeables. From what I have found, hypertherm make some darn good plasma cutters and that they underrate their cutting capacity.

• 1 month later...

That deal fell through as it was originally a 307 car. He either wants an elco or a 39-40 chevy coupe. He was one of the first hot rodders in the county as he was the first one to chop the top on a 50 something chevy truck he had. He was the first one to swap in a v8 too. Later on he put a Chevy Nova subframe under it. With him it is either mostly original or it is nothing like the original such as with the pickup we built last year.