Help with 18V Drill - Stalling?

blkdoom

I need some help with our household 18V drill. My mom likes to do lots of the home improvement/HGTV stuff and she wanted me to help her put up a shelf. The foot piece to the shelf I'll say and the actual shelf itself are likely to be made of plywood, since they have like a glossy edge banding all over. She wants the foot part drilled into the actual shelf so that things will not slide off. Anyways, I pre-drill holes into the shelf so that I can just put the screws in and be done with it, but when I go to put the screws in, the drill "stalls" so to speak. It meets the slightest bit of resistance and the actual bit stops moving but I can hear that the motor internally is still working, only no movement on the outside (like the actual bit) is occurring. This same stalling occurs when I open or close the chuck. So when I open it (counterclockwise), the drill will tug at my hand. But when I close it (clockwise), the chuck will simply close and then if I keep the trigger down, my hand will not be tugged, but the internal motor will still be active. We seemed to have misplaced the manual and the site is not working or the actual company is as I am starting to suspect, off-brand in the world of power tools. It is a Durabuilt 18V, bought from a local target store. I tried to get her to get a dewalt, since we used those when I was at high school a few months ago and because they are very high quality, but price persuaded her to go with the lower price tag. I hope someone can help, thanks.

How old is the Drill? I am sure you tried to recharge the batteries, but always have to ask. Do you know its not the batteries? Have you ruled out that the battery will not hold a charge? Also make sure the charger is not bad. If it is none of these, it might be just a bad motor or bad brushes. I wish I could give you more help, but without seeing it, it can be hard to pin point.

In reagrds to your mom getting a new drill. How much does she use it? Dewalt can be heavy because of the metal chuck and other parts on the drill. If she is not beating up the drill, take a look at the Black and Deckers. My mom uses the Black and Decker system and she loves it. They are very light, durable and have other tools for cheap that will use the same battery.

I am in the process of charging both batteries, but I had a feeling that being able to actually show it would help. I will try and make a video soon to better illustrate my question. Thank You for the feedback so far.

Mostly, she has me use it to assemble various things from IKEA and the like, shelves, mount picture frames, and recently make some signs for an outdoor advertisement. So yeah, I will try to get a video up on youtube so that you guys can see. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds to me that the battery is finished. If the battery had enough power the drill would be more powerful when you change the bits and would lock the bit in place.

When buying a new cordless, I would say go for the Dewalt, whether you use it once a month or once a day, it still is the best and would last you a very long time.

Good luck and hope you make the right choice.

http://powertoolssaw.ruqqa.com