Who needs 1090 in/lbs in a drill? Do I?

Doof

These are open and real questions:

Who needs a drill like Makita's XPH07Z? Do I? 

Is this level of power comparable to a strong, corded model, or above and beyond? 

Is it actually unwieldy?

Is it excessive, where ~ 700 in/lbs is ideal?

What can it do (or what are it's advantages) over the 700+ in/lbs brushless models?

Is this a drill that a child should never use?

Is a drill like this with an active response accelerometer the true ideal combination? 

Perhaps someone should take apart a Bosch and add it to this drill to give it a try.

I'm just interested in peoples thoughts, knowledge, and experience.

it should definitely never be used by a child! 

its power is unwieldy, though the less powerful models (like fuel, dewalt etc) are also unwieldy. when any of these grab unexpectedly, you could be in trouble.

if you don't need the excessive amount of power, then i don't necessarily recommend it over others (see comparison in my signature). but if you need big power (mortar mixing, huge holes etc), then it and the Metabo are your best bet.

what trade are you in?

There definitely are times I'm glad I bought such a powerfull drill. And the 1090 in/ibs is not just a gimmick.

Allthough, its the higher RPM combined with a considerable high torque and power (650W output) that really makes it shine in most applications (2. gear). Its 650W output is equal to around 1100-1300W (input wattage) corded drill's , with their usually low efficiency of 50-60 %.

I have weaker and smaller drills, and even though I'm doing a fairly easy task, the higher RPM on the makita makes your wrist work a lot less.

Example: My 12V (10,8V) Bosch drill (their newest Bushless model) easily drills a 1/2" hole, but the low RPM (1300 RPM) and light drill means my wrist gets a little workout. And with my 18V bosch with 500 in/ibs torque, it is getting a bit uncomfortable above 1" drill bits/augers, and forget using large bolts and screws (at least if you dont want to pre-drill a hole) which in turn takes time.

The Makita on the other hand, is heavier, sure, but it's extra mass and high RPM in second gear, means you just press the trigger, and before you notice anything on your wrist, the hole is finished. A lot more controll in other words. This is not only limited to the makita XPH07, but the same principles arrives when you compare a weaker/slower drill. Especially if you want to drill larger holes like 1-1/2 and up, most other drills needs to use Gear 1. Which is horrible, both in time spent, and how much you need to struggle. It drills a 2" hole in a blink of an eye, and probably could do this with up to 2-1/2" before going down to 1. gear.

Sure, at small task, the weight and size is a limitation, and using it for the smallest tasks, I recommend you have another small drill at hand. I.e small screws, and holes less than 1/4". But at increasingly larger sizes, it makes up for the rather high weight with power and controll. So it's a balance.

I frequenctly use large self-feed drill bits and augers, and large screws when making hobby stuff, and could not think of a better drill for the task. Also, for smaller concrete work, its hammer action is of the better out there (of the combi drills).

In my eyes, it has saved me the trouble of getting a hole-drilling machine, mortar mixing machine, and a SDS-drill (rarely have to drill into concrete). The large old german corded drill has newer been out of the closet since Makita arrived. Which is weaker, heavier, much noisier and more klumpsy.

The Makita is compact for its class.

Edit:

I have to say, the 1. gear is pretty dangerous if you don't use the supplied hand support. And even if the current limiter is quick to cut out when something is jammed. it's still enough to break a wrist.

The makita hammerndrill/driver is on my list of tools to buy i feel like everybody needs a powerfull drill and some tools your kids to use well you supervise but some i dont let my son touch like my nailgun and saws are off limits to him and powerful drills but i havnt used this drill yet but iv heard great things... and hey they are called "power tools" so id hope there powerful

Also, a more expensive drill feels a lot better. The biggest difference perhaps being the chuck. Ratcheting and all metall with good grip is just heaven.

But good safety feautures (for drill and yourself) is a good plus.

And certainly, but not least, a good gearbox that doesn't screw you when changing gear. :-p

Any of the brands have one in the higher price range, and is worth the investment. And this is from a guy that just uses it on a hobby basis.

I think Makita should have used an accelerometer on their drill like Bosch. The auxiliary handle on that drill is freaking insane it could be used as a defensive weapon. It all depends on what your you doing. If you doing large self feeding bits everyday the Makita is probability the best option.

Great points guys. Perhaps you can help me a little further.

I tend to use all my tools to the limit. I'm on the edge of ordering the Fuel Hammer/Hex Combo, which certainly 'seems' like enough to me. However, I've seen some videos of the Makita turning brick and mortar into a buttery pulvo.

I will be using 1" x 12" augers (albeit sparingly), drilling concrete, mixing this, that, and the other, plant-auger-ing, etc... The fuel seems like it has more than enough (am I right). But bigger is better is often the mantra.

I'm a safe user, and a pretty big guy, and I am wondering should I shell out the 40$ more for the Makita combo with the 3 speed impact. My only fear, the notorious Makita battery issues. I'd love to hear thoughts. As well as any more thoughts on the XPH07Z monster.

i actually bought mine specifically for the power, i use 3/4" and larger self feeding 72" flexible drill bits and the amount of torque you need when drilling through floors and walls is insane and when you hit a nail and need to keep going thats where the makita comes in, i also plan to use it for drilling anchors in limited usage, but i regularly drill large holes in wood, so i really needed a replacement for my previous makita drill, the chuck was finally giving out after nearly 10yrs of hard work.  i bought the kit with just the drill and 2 batteries as i already has several other makita tools. The batteries have been awesome so far, ive got a good collection of the 4 ah batteries and no issues so far. 

I think the battery problem has been resolved with the 4.0ah and bigger packs. It was something about the battery monitoring draining like 2 of the cells past the discharge point. That's what I have read. If your still worried never let the batteries sit discharged too long.

Those battery problems are indeed a thing if the past. Only on the older 3.0 amp batteries. All 1.5 amp and higher batteries you buy now wont ever fail hou untill they are worned out.

Why this Makita? Extreme power on the highest gear. Most of all common work/ drill sizes can be done in second gear where other drills have to switch down in gear to get the work done.

Very bif hole saws/ mixing ? You get that 125 Newton's of max torque in first gear.

Fastest charger on the market means more time the tool is running instead of waiting on batteries to charge.

And you also buy in your way to the most extensive 18v line available. Every brand has their specialty tools. Makita has most you van hope for and still expanding rapidly with some VERY good releases in 2014 and more to come in 2015

• Like 1

Those battery problems are indeed a thing if the past. Only on the older 3.0 amp batteries. All 1.5 amp and higher batteries you buy now wont ever fail hou untill they are worned out.

Why this Makita? Extreme power on the highest gear. Most of all common work/ drill sizes can be done in second gear where other drills have to switch down in gear to get the work done.

Very bif hole saws/ mixing ? You get that 125 Newton's of max torque in first gear.

Fastest charger on the market means more time the tool is running instead of waiting on batteries to charge.

And you also buy in your way to the most extensive 18v line available. Every brand has their specialty tools. Makita has most you van hope for and still expanding rapidly with some VERY good releases in 2014 and more to come in 2015

Sold me hahahah but im an easy sell iv already had my eye on this drill for a little bit now and im gonna get it with in the next couple weeks hopefully but im starting to really get into makita!!! Im glad im not heavy invested in any.other tool
  • Like 1

And what Dwain says is true. Always get the 3 speed impacts. The single speed BL model is actually a cost down model with a less durable hammer/ anvil system. It is ' open' on the inside so crap can get in.

If 40 $ gets you the 3 speed type and thus one of the best impacts around. Go for it.

You will have 2 top of the line tools which will both serve you for a long time in every situation you can think of.

• Like 1

Having the extra power when you need it is always a good thing. With clutches, variable speed triggers, etc. the user is in control so if you feel like you're pushing the tool harder than you are comfortable with, you are able to dial it back.

That said, I can understand being intimidated by the new Makita; I certainly was a few weeks ago seeing it at work (a friend has the kit with a 3 speed impact). Very nice gear, and I certainly wouldn't have a problem owning the set (aside from having too many red batteries for that at this point).