Planner

Jack Tibbetts

Yup, Dewalt of the two you planers picked but I'd go with the new Bosch over any of the other ones. Unless you've got 7 and a 1/4 for the real Mack Daddy Festool HL850 which is by far the best power planer on the planet. But.....7 bones is a lot of cash! Makita has a newer corded planer which is supposedly a great machine but that new Bosch with dual ejection and safety trigger is the one I'm planning on getting.

Yup, Dewalt of the two you planers picked but I'd go with the new Bosch over any of the other ones. Unless you've got 7 and a 1/4 for the real Mack Daddy Festool HL850 which is by far the best power planer on the planet. But.....7 bones is a lot of cash! Makita has a newer corded planer which is supposedly a great machine but that new Bosch with dual ejection and safety trigger is the one I'm planning on getting.

lol...I think they're talking about bench planers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I've used two DeWalt's but the 735 is a great one. I believe they sell helical cutter heads that leave a smoother finish, run more quite, leave less tear out on tricky grain and they last a very long time. Plus once they get dull, you just turn the cutter heads to a new face, no sharpening until the fourth turn. But if you have the dough, get a Powermatic of course

Oooohhhhhhhhhh........the OP didn't specify either type!

well then I'm using the Dewalt 734 for the last couple of years. Bought it recond from CPO, Came looking brand new and was never used. Great planer. The 735 is a really solid machine. I will vouch for the three blade Ridgid though. I've got friends that have it and love it and the LSA is still applicable for that machine if you register it. Ridgid actually makes some decent bench top tools so don't be afraid to make those purchases. I've seen shops with all Ridgid bench top tools and they are well service shops to have the, in there. Still, I'm running a Dewalt 734 bench top planer and compact 10" table saw. Very happy with both purchases.

I've used two DeWalt's but the 735 is a great one. I believe they sell helical cutter heads that leave a smoother finish, run more quite, leave less tear out on tricky grain and they last a very long time. Plus once they get dull, you just turn the cutter heads to a new face, no sharpening until the fourth turn. But if you have the dough, get a Powermatic of course

Something like a Byrd helical will cost about the same as the planer. I think they are around $500.

Something like a Byrd helical will cost about the same as the planer. I think they are around $500.

Yeah that's true. You'd end up spending around a $1000 all together but you would end up a very nice planer that would last a very long time. If you bought a Powermatic, you'd probably be spending around $3000 with no helical cutter head. But cutter head shmutter head, the 735 is still a nice planer on its own. I've never used the Rigid, but I've heard great things about it.

Yeah that's true. You'd end up spending around a $1000 all together but you would end up a very nice planer that would last a very long time. If you bought a Powermatic, you'd probably be spending around $3000 with no helical cutter head. But cutter head shmutter head, the 735 is still a nice planer on its own. I've never used the Rigid, but I've heard great things about it.

Yes you would have a very nice planner after that upgrade.