Need a hammer drill and advise

Chris

I currently do not own a hammer drill and am going to require one in the near future to do some work in my garage to rebuild the sill plates. While I am not planning on starting this project in the next week or anything but I did happen to pass by a stack of the Makita 

XPH012 Hammer Driver/ Drill at Home Depot. I know it only comes with 1 battery but at $99 it just seems like such a great deal.

Has anyone tried drilling through concrete with this drill?

And I do plan on getting more into wood working in the future once I get everything situated with my house. From what I hear Makita is kind of the way to go when it comes to wood working projects.

Yes you want one with the hammer drill Chuck. .. I have been drilling block for the past few weeks at work and i had started with a hammer drill with a standard Chuck and it wasn't much fun. Now I'm using a Milwaukee hammer drill with the quick change Chuck and you can't even feel the hammering action. ... it just digs

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

I have drilled HUNDREDS, if not thousands of holes on concrete. A hammer/combination drill will kill you. I highly recommend a rotary hammer for sure. Especially if you're going to be drilling holes closer to the 3/8"-1/2" or larger that I anticipate you'll be drilling for sill plate. If you don't foresee doing any work where you'll need a battery ie, no power within 50-75 feet, a corded rotary would be your best friend.

Yea a little combihammer like that isn't meant for drill 1/2 5/8 inch drop in or sleeve anchors. You will be drilling a long time to finish the hole and your bits will be roasted also the hole geometry will be horrible also. That kinda drill is good for really small anchors in and tapcons. Like Ricky mentioned you might want to look at a renting/borrowing/buying corded rotary hammer.

• Like 1

Yup, get a Rotary Hammer Drill. I don't have any experience with the cordless varieties, but plenty with the corded. I've got an old Bosch SDS Rotary Hammer that's great for concrete. I've tried using my DeWalt DCD795 Hammer Drill/Driver for drilling about 35 or so holes for Tapcon screws and found that while it would get the job done, it would have been a better experience with a Rotary Hammer Drill.

I had a couple projects at my house where I drilled multiple holes for tapcons screws. I was using a Dewalt DCD 995. It's was awful and the holes would end up out of round.

I picked up a Milwaukee Rotary hammer and I can't believe how much better it is. When I switched over from Dewalt to Milwaukee I didn't even bother getting the 18v hammer drill. I got the non-hammer 18v drill. I have the 12V fuel hammer drill for little stuff like hanging pictures in plaster walls. Anything bigger than that and I'm going to use the rotary hammer drill.

A regular cordless drill with hammer function is fine for 1/4" holes, or a tad bigger. After 10 No. 3/8" holes, you'll need a good rest. That's with a heavy duty premium model, not a compact like your link.

• Like 1