Well crap, any suggestions?

ChiTownMigrant

So I've been working on remodeling our kitchen over the past couple months, and mostly been doing it low budget trying to reuse existing materials and just improve the layout and make it more open concept. Its been going well, and I just put back up some of the upper cabinets that were on a wall that got taken out. It wasn't until I put the doors back on that I realized I had a problem. The previous owners had run crown molding across the top of the cabinets that were relocated, so now my doors are about 3" too short. If you look at my attached pictures, you can see how they were before and how there is a problem now. I see two possible solutions. Either make new doors, or join on an extension to the existing doors to make them the correct size. 

I'm a woodworking newb, but I was planning on making a couple new doors for the new pantry I am putting in next the the fridge (you can see it in the picture). Our current cabinet doors are just 3/4" MDF with a laminate veener and a beveled edge. I was just going to cut a couple doors to size, run the edges over the router table, and veener them. I'd love to make all new solid wood doors for the whole kitchen at some point, but need a lot more time and money. My wife also would murder me if I started doing it now. So I could just make 2 more doors in addition to the ones I was already planning on making. Or I was thinking I could joint on an extention to the two existing doors with biscuits. Haven't tried this before and have little experience working with MDF. Should I not waste my time trying this? Any other suggestions? Sorry about the lines over the before picture, only one I had was from when we bought the place. Got quotes from a few contractors to redo the kitchen similar to what I have already done, and they wanted $40k+ not including appliances due to us living in a condo in downtown Chicago.

Before.png

After.png