20v cordless grinder

Foneguy

Does anyone have this 4.5" grinder ? Or a link to a crew video review ? Wondering about battery 4.0 battery life, speed, durability  ... Been thinking about adding this to my yellow family !!

not sure I need it, but does that even matter !!??? , I have an 11amp Milwaukee corded for when things get serious.

Thanks Crew !!!

I love mine. Have one in each truck and constantly finding uses for them.

They won't go long term, grinding, but I've never had a problem with the batteries.

Recently we started to use them for cutting vinyl siding. Could say enough good about them.

I will say, we use them mostly for cutting and very little grinding.

Using thin cutting wheels and diamond blades.

I'll bet it is out of the truck at least once a week. I don't even carry a corded one anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've abused the CRAP out of mine, can't believe I haven't had to replace the brushes already. Dropped it off a roof, hit so hard it bent a steel blade, cut wet concrete, rebar, sharpened tools with it, cut lumber with it... everything you could think to do. 

But as said, it eats batteries...what I've found is it uses up battery much faster under load, if you really press into your cutting surface it chews batteries, keep the RPM's up and let the blade do the work and it's not AS bad.

All said, I'd wait for the brushless version to come out. But the tool itself is solid. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RickyMcGrath said:

The grinder CHEWS through batteries. I had 6+ batteries with me one day and it was shewing them up before they re-charged.

Also to add to this, the grinder is the worst offender because it depletes so quickly the battery is often too hot to charge for some time, so it can double the time to recharge because of the cool-off delay. 

• Like 2

I agree it will eat up batteries but it is still better than dragging a generator and cords. I use cutting wheels and like Hugh says let the tool do the work. If your not in dire need wait for the brushless model either way it's a good solid tool

From a fan of tools with lots of assistance from Siri #TIACREW

11 minutes ago, tonylandin said:

I agree it will eat up batteries but it is still better than dragging a generator and cords.

I have both, almost never use my corded grinder, and when I do it's because I need the variable speed (praying for this feature on the update cordless). 

But I also have 10 batteries...so...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I have both, almost never use my corded grinder, and when I do it's because I need the variable speed (praying for this feature on the update cordless). 

But I also have 10 batteries...so...

Yupp, given that they even have brushless motors theese days, means that they already have the computer on board and circuty needed for it already. All they need is just add a potmeter and a some other small changes. 

Though, the cordless grinders do have a bit lower RPM by default, so they might think that we don't need any lower?

1 minute ago, Andrull said:

Yupp, given that they even have brushless motors theese days, means that they already have the computer on board and circuty needed for it already. All they need is just add a potmeter and a some other small changes. 

Though, the cordless grinders do have a bit lower RPM by default, so they might think that we don't need any lower?

Then they've never had to grind thin set off a slab with a diamond grinding cup. 9 seconds in and I can't see my hand in front of my face. 

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Then they've never had to grind thin set off a slab with a diamond grinding cup. 9 seconds in and I can't see my hand in front of my face. 

Hehe, would guess so. :P

Neither have I though, but then again, I can see the use for this. ^^ Perhaps it's their plan altogether. First a basic brushless model, and afterwards with a couple of functions added. Make you buy both.

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Also to add to this, the grinder is the worst offender because it depletes so quickly the battery is often too hot to charge for some time, so it can double the time to recharge because of the cool-off delay. 

Great point to make, we don't often consider this an issue with tools and batteries

I didn't even think about the brushless part. It does make a difference. We had the 18v before these.

The part about cooling down also. When we use ours to cut siding, when one battery dies, the other is already charged. Of course we can do a whole house with only a couple batteries.

I definitely think the cutting is a lot easier on them than grinding. dff59419f2f4f25f6639edf6c13ad2de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Cutting EMT, PVC Pipe, thin wall stainless, copper pipe, etc.... awesome. Battery lasts OK... not great but OK. Cutting rebar, concrete (diamond blade), tile on old thickset with mesh (diamond blade), or grinding metal (lawnmower blades) you might as well set up shop with every charger and battery you own, plus a cooler with dry ice to try to cool down the batteries (it works.. may not be good for the cells.... but it works). I love mine personally, but there is definitely something to be said for a corded grinder for the more demanding applications. 

• Like 3

I'm either lucky or I don't use my grinder the same as others.  I've never had an issue with the batteries and the grinder.  Of course I'm not grinding down welds all day, but I've probably had it out 3 days this week.  Used it about 2 hours yesterday.  Not solid 2 hours, but a significant amount of grinding with a sanding disc.

It will never out perform a corded one, but I have no complaints about the grinder or the battery usage.  If it died, I would have another one, by the end of the day.

• Like 1

All great info guys !!! A lot of great points....

i am not going to run out today and get it, but if  I am in the orange or blue store..... And I am feeling saucy ... There is no tellin'

thanks crew !!!