Special needs, special tools

WeldfabNeil

Does anyone know of precision tools with standard size handles? Screwdrivers an pliers are what we mainly want but anything helps.

My little woodworker friend has special needs. Woodworking is what he loves to do but small tools are hard to manipulate. There are times a easy task for us is difficult for him. It amazes me how he has never let his disability stop him. It may slow him down or frustrate him but in the end his work is amazing. He can do what we do but sometimes he does it differently or slower. 

He has wrapped small handles with ductape before. Once the handle is normal size he has no problem. Another tool problem is precision pliers. One pair of small pliers I cut apart then brazed to a larger handle pair. Really me an his mom are just looking for ways to make it easier. We know we can't solve everything but just trying to simplify stuff. 

Any ideas to help him out? 

• Like 1

One trick you might consider is pan handles. I've found pretty good success with files by using handles from old pans. When it comes time for the wife to throw a pan away, I scavenge the handle off of it. They come in handy (is that a pun? If so, no pun intended) for handles on tools...files, screwdrivers, etc..

Another thing to consider is buying the cheapest screwdrivers you can find, Harbor Freight and Menard's have some decent-handled stuff, and strip the handles off. Heat the steel enough to pull the handles off, then heat your tool and slide the handle on. I've done this with files too, and it works pretty good.

• Like 2

Tronex is expensive but the quality is fantastic, nicer than Knipex. Their grips are quite large, I can post comparison pics for you. I think Kobalt still makes some larger handled precision pliers, they're a little slimmer than Tronex but you could by a whole set for 2/3rd the cost of a pair of Tronex.

The Felo 200 series goes down to PH0, according to the catalog the PH0 is .1" smaller grip than the PH1.

But I think a bit holder and bits, you could even do more than one...One bit holder for PH, one for slotted, etc..

If you need really precision bits you could get 1/8" bit sets and use the 1/4" to 1/8" in a regular locking bit driver or JB Weld the bit adapter into the holder so it's permanent. 

Wiha Tradesman driver goes down to PH0: https://www.kctoolco.com/wiha-77790-26-in-one-tradesman-ultra-driver/

• Like 3

Great ideas. His mother an me are both thankful for the input. 

Never heard of tronex but just looked them up. 

He does have some screwdrivers with different bits. I didn't think of it but will look for other bits for those ones. His bit sets dont have small sizes. 

I started thinking he could turn handles on his midi lathe an insert whatever he wants. That idea sound sounds like it would take care of the screwdrivers. The idea od just buying off shelf screwdrivers an using the handle sounds even better. 

3 hours ago, Fletcher94 said:

Great ideas. His mother an me are both thankful for the input. 

Never heard of tronex but just looked them up. 

He does have some screwdrivers with different bits. I didn't think of it but will look for other bits for those ones. His bit sets dont have small sizes. 

I started thinking he could turn handles on his midi lathe an insert whatever he wants. That idea sound sounds like it would take care of the screwdrivers. The idea od just buying off shelf screwdrivers an using the handle sounds even better. 

I can only think of the Felos that go to ph0 as a full sized driver...but they only go to 1/8" in slotted. I feel like I'm forgetting someone that makes some small sizes with normal size grips.

I just remembered that Xcelite made a driver set that is small handle but has a single larger handle that slips over the smaller handles.

Nut drivers:

191-686.01_s500_p1._V28d9d0b4_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Xcelite-PS120-Compact-Convertible-Nutdriver/dp/B0002JT7O4/

Found the phillips and slotted :

41lLmS0CdjL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Xcelite-Compact-Convertible-Screwdriver-Plastic/dp/B007NLPRTI

Found hex:

https://www.amazon.com/Xcelite-PS89V-Socket-Screwdriver-9-Piece/dp/B000ZUBWWK/

There are also a different style:

https://www.amazon.com/Xcelite-99PS40BP-Ballpoint-Screwdriver-11-Piece/dp/B004UNFBMA/

• Like 1

Found some good deals on eBay. Soo many it just makes more sense to link you to a search: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=xcelite+nut+driver+set&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=xcelite+set&_sacat=0

If you want size comparison pics I can provide some, the older guy in the shop has them.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info an offer bmack. 

I bought a husky 7 piece precision screwdriver set, at homedepot. Sometime soon he will turn handles on his lathe. From there drill an add glue along with insert screwdriver part. It sounds like it will work. 

I was gonna buy cheapo handles an dill them out. He really likes the idea of turning his own handles, so that's what we will do. 

If this doesn't work we will look closer at those excillite sets. 

• Like 1