home tool set?

MrsB

Hi gentlemen! 

I am looking for recommendations for a good home tool set for my husband. No Craftsman, no crappy stuff, please. He has a nyrobi drill set but I can't find that they have hand tools. In my research I keep finding mechanics sets but not regular hand tools. Can you recommend a brand? 

1 hour ago, MrsB said:

Hi gentlemen! 

I am looking for recommendations for a good home tool set for my husband. No Craftsman, no crappy stuff, please. He has a nyrobi drill set but I can't find that they have hand tools. In my research I keep finding mechanics sets but not regular hand tools. Can you recommend a brand? 

If your husband does any sort of projects, refer to jtkendall's questions above.  If you are looking for basic tools similar to those usually bundled together for homeowners, then Kobalt might be a decent choice.  Lowe's usually offers household tool kits, a Google search for "Kobalt homeowners tool kit" shows both a 230-piece kit for $150 and a 22-piece kit for $40.  Each includes a bag and basic tools like a hammer and assorted pliers amd screwdrivers, but the larger kit also has sockets and a bunch of other stuff (obviously).  Kobalt isn't top-notch, but it has a good warranty and is a definite step up from low-tier brands.  Husky (Home Depot) may have similar tool kits at a similar value.

Alternatively, if you want to piece together a good set with mostly Made in USA tools, albeit at a much higher price, I'd recommend Home Depot (HD).  Lowe's premium hand tools include Vaughan (hammers), Johnson (levels and squares), Channellock and Ideal (pliers) and Stanley Fatmax (almost everything else to include the aforementioned tools), but HD offers a lot more variety when it comes to brands, with a lot more domestically manufactured products.  Also, if your husband has a Ryobi drill set, then he is likely at least somewhat familiar with HD.

If you decide to check out Hd, now is the time to score some deals.  You can get buy one get one deals on stuff like levels, squares, tape measures, screwdrivers, and utility knives.  When it comes to those things, your husband is sure to appreciate having a spare to keep in another room.

• Like 1