Multiple platforms

sadfkjnbb

On 12/8/2017 at 10:08 PM, SetBuilder said:

At this point I can't see the cordless routers, please convince me otherwise.  With a five amp battery on top they are top heavy and weigh almost as much as a PC 690 with half the power.  

Convenience. I don't want one to replace my 1617,  I want something that is quick and covenient when its a small job.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve ended up with 4 at this point (not counting Craftsman 19.2 which are no longer in use, and considering the 60v Flexvolt the same as 20v since they are compatible). I started with Bosch 12v and 18v which I’ve been happy with, but they have limited tools and haven’t kept up with other brands. 

I picked up the Ridgid 18v router, miter saw, brad nailer, and sander, and have been happy with them. However, I recently bought a cargo trailer I needed to outfit with more tools and found Ridgid’s brushless drills, impacts, and circular saws sorely lacking, so they went back and I tried Dewalt 20v. 

So far, I’ve been very impressed with the Dewalt stuff. While it is expensive having so many batteries (currently have 34, and could use 4-6 more Dewalt), it does keep things separate and organized. Bosch tools live at the shop, Dewalt tools live in the trailer, and Ridgid tools live in my SUV for quick jobs. This will ensure that I have what I need wherever I’m working, and it isn’t borrowed and put somewhere else. 

• Like 1

So far I’ve successfully stayed within 2 platforms. Like most DIY types I prefer to minimize how many platforms I have to buy into but if some products are exclusive to some platforms so be it. Makita happens to cover most of the bases that pertain to what I do, and Ryobi has a couple “oddball” (yet not really oddball) things that forced my hand. Which is fine Ryobi isn’t a terribly expensive platform to jump into. Interestingly M12 has some products I don’t see anywhere else (yet) but as Milwaukee’s 12V line it is also not a huge investment to jump into. It’s a trigger I have yet to pull though.

• 2 weeks later...

I love having multiple platforms and the extra batteries and chargers all ride in the same L-Boxx 4 that only one platform would ride in so the extra colors of battery and charger aren’t a problem but are an additional convenience. A nice healthy tool salad.