fabricgator

I let the smoke out...

Hey folks...

I was abusing my Milwaukee M-18, 1/2" hammer drill (perhaps six years old) about four days ago and *pop* or *snap* a wisp of smoke arose... 

I am an active member in all other things I love and thought 'there must be a battery tool forum'

I was turning a 2 1/2" bimetal hole saw in aluminum. It was kinda grabby and while I was certain that these amazing drills could handle it, I presume, I was mistaken.

I am in seek of advice and guidance in the most economical solution to repair or replacement.

I am seldom a tradesman these days and I did not have a whole lot of mileage on this tool. 

Should I pursue repair or simply replace it?  Unfortunately, I have more time than money.

I've yet to perform troubleshooting. What torx bit is required to get inside? 

Is there any sort of guide available? Are there any unexpected springs or parts to misplace?

Thank you for your anticipated assistance.

fab 

Not sure what the cost of repair would be but you can purchase a brand new Gen 3 2804-20 M18 Fuel Hammer drill on Amazon for $119 and the older 2607-20 M18 Hammer Drill for $71 which are both great deals. I actually caught the 2804 on sale and got it brand new in the box for $95 not long ago. the Gen 2 2704-20 can be had for $112 if that model is more to your liking.  All of these are M18 Hammer Drill bare tools.

You can get them each even cheaper if you don't mind purchasing them used or in the "open box" category from as low as $51....

Seriously doubt you can buy a motor for that cheap from Milwaukee (if that turns out to be your issue)

Ereplacementparts has pretty decent pricing and I usually will use them for a parts diagram but if you use ebay it's worth checking to see if someone has a discounted part.  Like others have said though with the deals you can find on complete tools it gets pretty hard to justify replacing parts.