Milwaukee Holding Back One key capabilities?

NYNick

I'm thinking about purchasing a new m18 one key impact driver however I can't seem yo get a straight answer about setting the torque.  I understand that the settings go by "levels". 

If i'm using the impact driver How does each level correspond to inch pounds?  As a plumber i'm hoping I can go from torquing victaulic couplings , tightening hanger nuts, torquing 60 and 80lb no hub bands and drilling self tappers.  I hope we can set the tool more precise than an estimate and Milwaukee isn't holding back that capability in order not to canabalize sales on their cordless no-hub nut driver for example. 

Update:  I called customer service today and spoke to someone in the tech department.  He told me that in fact the user can't make a precise torque setting because Milwaukee doesn't want to be held liable if a no-hub band was set to torque at 60inch lbs and the driver fails to do so.  I then said but you guys already make a tool that does so..The milwaukee no-hub driver which comes factory set at 60 and 80 inch lbs of torque.  The guy on the phone said "even that tool isn't that precise" .  I was like okaaaay that doesn't make sense. So I guess my answer is that One-Key isn't that user controllable since  Milwaukee is holding back the full capability despite having the power to in fact give us that control.  Milwaukee said they can in the attached video....So what gives?  :>/

Thanks for passing this along and doing some legwork about trying to get closer to an answer, it has been floating around and no one really knows how that's supposed to work..  Check the other thread about How One Key works...

No impact wrench type tool in the world can tighten a fastener to an accurate, repeatable torque spec.

Use air impact on constant pressure nitrogen so its not affected by temperature, then use torque sticks?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

On 4/30/2016 at 6:49 AM, KnarlyCarl said:

Use air impact on constant pressure nitrogen so its not affected by temperature, then use torque sticks?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

There's still too many variables. The big one I can think of is heat buildup. Torque sticks aren't that accurate. I wouldn't use them to torque my own wheels, but if you're a flat rate mechanic, a torque stick is certainly better than nothing.

On 4/30/2016 at 9:16 PM, rocket1420 said:

No impact wrench type tool in the world can tighten a fastener to an accurate, repeatable torque spec.

Pnuematic torque impact wrenches are extremely common for guys who work on mining equipment. One of many brands, these are accurate to within 5% torque. http://torcup.com/product/rp-series/

• Like 1

I beleive the impact guns they use on assembly lines are pretty accurate as well, my buddy works for ford and their guns are all computerized to a certain torque setting.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

I beleive the impact guns they use on assembly lines are pretty accurate as well, my buddy works for ford and their guns are all computerized to a certain torque setting.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are they actually impact wrenches or are they essentially a screwgun with a square drive end? At least that's what I thought they were. The machine GM uses for head bolts on their v8 engines torques every bolt at the same time to the same torque. It is a wicked cool machine but it just runs them down like a screwgun and doesn't impact.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NicholasShetley said:

Are they actually impact wrenches or are they essentially a screwgun with a square drive end? At least that's what I thought they were. The machine GM uses for head bolts on their v8 engines torques every bolt at the same time to the same torque. It is a wicked cool machine but it just runs them down like a screwgun and doesn't impact.

That is the coolest thing I've ever heard. 

18 minutes ago, NicholasShetley said:

Go to the 4:10 mark in this video to see it in use. 

THAT'S the coolest thing I've ever SEEN! Thanks for showing, I'm not a gear head by any means, but that's definitely a sweet spot to work..

Now that you mention it I'm not sure, but he bolts the driveshaft on the explorers and Taurus and I would hope it's an impact lol

39 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Now that you mention it I'm not sure, but he bolts the driveshaft on the explorers and Taurus and I would hope it's an impact lol

I would believe that. It usually takes all I have with two wrenches to undo those. I can't use a socket since they are 12 point. The thread locker they use from the factory is no joke. The worst I have come across though is GM threadlocker. We had to do the rear brakes on one of my friends dads truck. It was a 2008 2500 HD and we barely broke the top caliper bolt loose and we tried to get the bottom one loose but we just couldn't get it to come loose. This was before I had my m18 1/2 impact but we used my 600 ft lbs air impact and let it hammer for 15 or so seconds but it didn't budge. We had to pry the caliper until we could change the pads. It was a nightmare. 

4 hours ago, NicholasShetley said:

Go to the 4:10 mark in this video to see it in use. 

Alright owning one of these machines just got added to my list of unrealistic goals right after marrying Taylor Swift, legally changing my name to Steve Coburn Mcqueen and owning both the original mustang and charger from Bullitt along with the Motorcycle from The Great Escape.

• Like 2

I would believe that. It usually takes all I have with two wrenches to undo those. I can't use a socket since they are 12 point. The thread locker they use from the factory is no joke. The worst I have come across though is GM threadlocker. We had to do the rear brakes on one of my friends dads truck. It was a 2008 2500 HD and we barely broke the top caliper bolt loose and we tried to get the bottom one loose but we just couldn't get it to come loose. This was before I had my m18 1/2 impact but we used my 600 ft lbs air impact and let it hammer for 15 or so seconds but it didn't budge. We had to pry the caliper until we could change the pads. It was a nightmare. 

I want to say the drive shaft takes 6 bolts and the impact has 3 heads on it and it can rotate to do that top or bottom, something along the lines of that

On 5/5/2016 at 4:15 PM, Stercorarius said:

Pnuematic torque impact wrenches are extremely common for guys who work on mining equipment. One of many brands, these are accurate to within 5% torque. http://torcup.com/product/rp-series/

I don't doubt that.  They aren't impact wrenches though.