Lets talk router tables

DaveJr.

I am looking into building a router table. I Have a Porter Cable model 7538 router that I would like to use. I am going to buy Rockler's aluminum router plate. Any tips or suggestions on this build? Has anyone built their own router table? Any input will be appreciated. One question. If I am going to use this as a dedicated router table, I don't have to worry about a router lift, right? I can just leave the bit at the same height all the time and adjust when I need to.

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-aluminum-pro-router-plates

I would just build it so its easy to pullout if needed for cleaning/maintenance etc . The router should be able to stay on the plate,just build the top support piece to hold the router plate. the main thing would be flatness id imagine,would be easy to route a frame to hold the router plate to the desired height.

I made mine using the Rockler aluminum plate, it's just something I tacked together real quick, I was going to sell it haha but haven't made any traction with that.

The Rockler plate is really nice, good choice. I have a PC also, can't think of the model number. But I haven't used my table for years, instead I just mount it on the underside of the table saw. You can just leave the bit at one height if you want, but a lift will really save you the headache of trying to make slight adjustments. 

Ok I just found it, can't remember when I got it for Christmas probably 12 years ago.. 895PK

895pk.jpg

-

What sort of fence are you thinking of putting on? Dust collection? 

Here is my really simple table, nothing special, and I was just learning things. I put in a light dimmer to vary the speed, and t-tracks to adjust my fence. So it's made from particle board and at the corners are solid wood pieces to screw into BUT i wouldn't use particle board for this application, don't really think it was the right choice of material, probably not going to stay true over the years... 

c3887b489379faf6f31a7266936777c0.jpg

-

a162232a114623f9c67e868dd8efe50d.jpg

Check out for yourself some plans around the 'net, then customize to your liking. Most of all HAVE FUN!

• Like 2

I was looking at some of the pre-made fences that Rockler carries. They have built in dust collection so thats that. As far as a top goes, I was thinking of using melamine (don't know if I spelled that right). I have heard that wood slides across it nicely. I will just use plywood and 2x4's for the stand and possibly a cabinet underneath. 

• Like 2

Melamine should work well,anything nice and smooth should work thou. 

I like Karls Tslot idea for his fence. Should be able to get it straight pretty easily.

Tslots are very strong so you shouldnt have any issues with it moving.

I got a home made one several years ago, made my own fence for it out of MDF, it worked decent. I was going to make a bigger and better one but about 2 years ago I got the chance to pick up a Kreg portable table that needed parts (model off the sales floor of a Woodcraft store) I couldn't pass it up. A little time, research and nuts, bolts, washers and screws and I love it. An aluminum fence with the dust collection port built in and the ability to adjust/ replace the fence faces are so nice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...