Huge M18 Batteries... Make 5.0 look Tiny

olletsocmit

I think & can see myself getting a 6.0 for my drill and driver most likely when I need another battery, but I don't know about a 9.0 ever

For more portable tools I don't thing the 9.0 has an advantage over 2 5.0 or 6.0 or maybe even 4.0 for the extra weight. The 9.0 is intended for their more heavy duty needs like a cordless mitersaw, mag drill, your less portable tools, no point in putting a 9.0 on a drill lol. But as we see different tools come out that are replacing corded stationary tools the 9.0 will be useful. Besides I'd rather have 1 9.0 on a Milwaukee tool than 2 5.0 on a Makita saw...

• Like 1

Maybe for that new Milwaukee Fuel 18v miter saw too. But, I can't see slapping a 9.0 on an impact gun or hammer. They'd probably be great in the flood lights too now that I think on it. Of course, this coming from a guy that owns an M12 charger. And a few Milwaukee tool bags ;)

oh,make my bottle opener. Let us not forget my bottle opener:D

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bremon said:

9.0 on my sawzall or circular saw though? Yes please. I can definitely burn through batteries on the sawzall faster than they charge when I'm getting down to business. 

I thought someone discussed a possible clearance issue with the 9.0 on a circ saw

Me too dude

Yea it had been awhile since owned a cordless circular saw and got the 7 1/4 right after it came out and have been impressed with just the 4.0 batteries. Wouldn't haveta worry at all with the bigger batteries. Same with hammer drill.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

Cleaernece to the work piece but my battery on my 6 1/2" sits higher

The 7 1/4 fuel lasts a LOOOONNNGG time on a 5 amp battery, it'll last even longer on a 6.0 which will be the ideal battery for the saw. While I think there will be enough clearance for the 9 on the saw I'm not sure you need a huge battery on a one handed tool that already will last longer than you will for a day's work, the only thing the 9 will add is fatigue on your arm for whipping it around cutting stuff. The 9's will be great for beefier two handed tools or stationary tools like a miter or for lights where you switch them on and leave them be and want max run-time. I do hope it fits in the m18 vac though, I love that thing and use it all the time but it eats batteries like candy. I think the 9's will fit in there though, the battery compartment is oversized so it can have connectors for both the M18 and the older nicads.

I agree the 5's or even the 6's are plenty good for a days work. I'm hoping with the bigger batteries they'll be able to last more than a day or two and won't haveta drag the batteries home out of the job trailer every night. I do concrete work so usually the first ones on the job and there's no power, so everything needs run off generator. So its nice having what we do use be cordless and not haveta drag drop cords and generator out. Don't haveta use tools whole lot but it depends on the day and just kinda sucks taking all the batteries home every night. Only having few of the 4.0's and one or two 5.0's, rest are 3's or compact, that's what end up doin if burn through one that day. But depending on weather conditions no battery will probably last that long in the trailer. Also not really concerned about weight since nothing is over head. But we rip down alot of boards for bulkheads and sometimes forms and that drains the smaller batteries.

But maybe that's all just wishful thinking ha. At end of the day it's still battery operated. But now that started picking up certain tools the corded stuff is back up.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Excellent point Jimbo. I just checked my saw out and now I'm on the fence as to whether or not it will work. Tough to say. 

I'd have to look at mine too depends how much bigger it is, I would assume roughly 1/3 depending on over molding.

The 9.0s were intended to support the new SDS Max rotary hammer. The hammer hasn't made it out of the gates so that's why I'm guessing that the 9.0s are still awol.

What I don't get is why the need for sds max when spline drive are about the same size at the base, and would interchange with corded spline drive hammers

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

What I don't get is why the need for sds max when spline drive are about the same size at the base, and would interchange with corded spline drive hammers

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I think it had something to do with different companies when they first came out to compete with spline drive, a while ago a read an article that talked about the differences and SDS competed with Spline. Kind of like when HD DVD battled Blu-Ray... Around by me I don't see hardly any spline.

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

I think it had something to do with different companies when they first came out to compete with spline drive, a while ago a read an article that talked about the differences and SDS competed with Spline. Kind of like when HD DVD battled Blu-Ray... Around by me I don't see hardly any spline.

Same, no spline drives here. In fact the only place that has bits that big is the case dealership and they are all SDS max Hiltis.