Torque power numbers

Bmill25

Hi guys, right now I have the most powerful non-fuel m18 hammer drill. I think it's torque is around 725. The new fuel has 1200. I'm starting a large new job that will require a lot of tapcons into concrete. Will the extra 475 inches of  torque be an obvious improvement? I've never used one that powerful. 

I've never used a rotary hammer drill. Is that significantly better than a normal hammer drill? I usually use my hammer drill for short tapcons to screw metal lathe to concrete to lay stone veneer. Would a 12v rotary be enough?

You should really try out a rotary hammer if you're using that many tapcons.  Not only does it go faster with less vibration, but you don't need to put much pressure on the bit like a hammer drill.  Again with the voltage it depends a lot on the size of tapcon and even within voltages there are a lot of different size of rotary hammer.  Pretty much anything will be good for small 5/32 tapcons but as it gets larger you might want a larger rotary hammer.  What's the biggest you plan to drill?

• Like 1

Like Jeff said, get a SDS hammer, they are designed for chipping concrete so they will have lower rpm and stronger beats than a cordless hammer drill. Honestly I would really mess with a 12v SDS, I would go 18v or corded. Now when you see corded they are measured by 1" or 1 1/8", they all take the same bits but it's the maximum recommended hole diameter for that tool.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never used a rotary hammer drill. Is that significantly better than a normal hammer drill? ..........

Short answer, yes! Long answer, ABSOLUTELY!

After I got my sds rotary hammer, the hammer function on my drill has NEVER been touched since, its that worth it to have both tools vs just the hammer drill. It's something you have to experience yourself, I can't say enough about how awesome it is. As for which size to get, if just tapcons, go for the m12, but if you think there is a chance you're going to want chisel abilities, get the m18 version.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would only ever use an SDS for drilling concrete. I personally wouldn't bother with 12v, go for 18v. I have a couple of vids up of the Makita 36v... love that tool. It is rated for 26mm (just over an inch) in concrete. I compared it to a Makita corded 28mm and they were very similar, although I didn't push them to their maximum sizes, mainly because I don't have any SDS+ bits that size.

Once you have used a rotary hammer drill you will never drill concrete with a standard hammer drill again.

• Like 3

Imagine using a self feed 3/8" spade bit on a top of the line corded drill to drill through a 2x4 and then imagine using an 88¢ Philips screwdriver to drill a hole through a tree. That's about the difference between SDS and hammer drill. I would personally just get a factory recon. Bosch bulldog corded unit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stercorarius said:

Imagine using a self feed 3/8" spade bit on a top of the line corded drill to drill through a 2x4 and then imagine using an 88¢ Philips screwdriver to drill a hole through a tree. That's about the difference between SDS and hammer drill. I would personally just get a factory recon. Bosch bulldog corded unit.

Depends it could be anywhere from an 88 cents to maybe 2.88 lol, great comparison!

• Like 1

We have been using the Bosch unit for awhile and it works great. It's the 1" unit and it's put in hundreds of tapcons. I'd definitely recommend it unless your set on getting something cordless.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk