Anybody out there a racing fan?

Bmill25

Hey they said any subject would work in Pub Talk. Well, I just got home from the most exciting race that I've ever seen. The only way it would have been more exciting was if I was driving the car.  I love dirt track racing and I was wondering how many other fans are out there? What type of racing do you like?

I'm a NASCAR fan. I have to pick pick a new driver to go with since Jeff Gordon retired. I'm thinking of two. Matt Kenseth in the #17 DeWalt car or Danica Patrick.... you know because shes a good driver.....yea lets go with that. :rolleyes:

20141111dg0334 MK and car WEB.jpg

danica-patrick-2-17_p3.jpg

It's so fulfilling watching a bunch of hicks drive around in circles. Sorry, but I drive every day and it's nothing special, whether you're going fast or not. 0038.gif

I can appreciate the value of a good race, I am not a "fan" but I can watch a couple of minutes here and there. I'd prefer F1 racing over NASCAR though, mainly because the F1 cars are beauties to watch. Been to Indy twice, first time was on the dime of one of my grand masters, the other was on a business trip. Both times were fun as a whole, but we were doing more than just watching the cars. The topless babes helped make it entertaining too. Used to love going to Sante Fe Speedway when it was open. My brother did the demo derby at Sante Fe a couple of times. Sante Fe was a great night out when you were a kid, I loved the smell of that place and loved watching people in the stands get hit with dirt and rubber. My brother drag raced with his '68 Impala, but I never got to see that except for a couple of videos.

Being raised in Indiana I really only watch the Indy 500. I've been to Sparta in Kentucky for an Indy series race. Sparta isn't a bad place to catch a race, I was just disappointed there wasn't a guy in leather kicking people down into a bottomless pit yelling this is Sparta!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Not really a fan, but I will occasionally watch a motorcycle or off road race. I always thought rally racing would be cool, but never really went to one.

I always thought NASCAR on the radio would be spectacular. "He goes straight! He turns left! He goes straight! He turns left!"

I used to enjoy F1 until they basically ruined the sport with regulations. I wish they had a very limited rules; length/width of car, open wheel, four wheels, transmission must be manually shifted and neutral must be engaged...and of course the basic safety regulations, then let the teams go all out. I get that they want some sort of parity for more passing and that they want to give the smaller teams a chance but F1 is supposed to be the NASA of automobiles, trickle down technology to benefit our everyday cars while testing the limits of human ingenuity.

I really like how NASCAR restricts to NA cars and whatnot but I think it would be cool to have the old style rules where you basically take high HP production cars and put them on the track(preferably non-oval). I guess I can go with the GT series...but I want heavy NA cars.

I find British Touring car really entertaining but it's soo darn difficult to watch in the US. It's sort of like the AFL compared to the NFL, it's just nuts. 

I used to enjoy F1 until they basically ruined the sport with regulations. I wish they had a very limited rules; length/width of car, open wheel, four wheels, transmission must be manually shifted and neutral must be engaged...and of course the basic safety regulations, then let the teams go all out. I get that they want some sort of parity for more passing and that they want to give the smaller teams a chance but F1 is supposed to be the NASA of automobiles, trickle down technology to benefit our everyday cars while testing the limits of human ingenuity.

I really like how NASCAR restricts to NA cars and whatnot but I think it would be cool to have the old style rules where you basically take high HP production cars and put them on the track(preferably non-oval). I guess I can go with the GT series...but I want heavy NA cars.

I find British Touring car really entertaining but it's soo darn difficult to watch in the US. It's sort of like the AFL compared to the NFL, it's just nuts. 

Yea the new cars in f1 definitely suck

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like drag racing and I'll go to the dirt track races from time to time. A few years ago my dad, his coworker and I went to the nostalgia drag races in St. Louis and it was an absolute blast. They had everything from your everyday street car to some historical drag cars and racers there too. They had some of the old school funny cars there and they would run about 270-280 mph in the quarter mile. You felt it in your chest when they took off. I also met tommy ivo there, he was the one who had the four engine four wheel drive dragster. He was a super cool guy to talk to. If they have the hot rod drag week there again this year I would love to go there for the day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

I like drag races. Don't have much time to watch them though. I'd like to go to the NHRA finals at some point. 

I like them too and used to race in the invitationals ......but I have since gave the sport up.......

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

I completely agree. I think nascar should go back to what it was in the 60s and 70s. They should go back to using relatively stock production cars on the track. All of the cars look the same anymore and they can't be all that different. 

Without nascar back then we wouldn't have cars such as the Dodge Charger Daytona.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, comp56 said:

I like them too and used to race in the invitationals ......but I have since gave the sport up.......

The thing I love about them is that the cars and the skill and craftsmanship put into them is what I see in the race. You're winning the  races in the shop. 

7 minutes ago, NicholasShetley said:

I completely agree. I think nascar should go back to what it was in the 60s and 70s. They should go back to using relatively stock production cars on the track. All of the cars look the same anymore and they can't be all that different. 

Without nascar back then we wouldn't have cars such as the Dodge Charger Daytona.

I love how big a deal it was between manufacturers. They'd build cars specifically to beat the other guys' cars and only sell enough to the public to meet the requirements to race them.

• Like 1

Many many many regulations, most motor sports have either headed that way or are headed that way.

Jimbo

11 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Many many many regulations, most motor sports have either headed that way or are headed that way.

Jimbo

NASCAR with huge sponsors is one thing, but when you race on your own it gets expensive when you show up to a track and they announce new shit because some guy thinks it is safer. costs are out of control is only one of the reasons I gave it up. I didn't want a company name on the side of my car cause it wouldn't be mine any more.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NicholasShetley said:

And the Ford Boss 429 engine...

• Like 1

You wouldn't turn this one down though, would you? Totally mint, totally original. The only thing that's not, if I remember correctly, is the radiator cap or temperature-something-or-other or something like that. Belongs to a friend of mine, and once he gets it started, it has serious balls.

5 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

Not to mention the 427 SCJ with overhead cams and something like a three foot timing chain. The original corvette killer.

I was just reading up on that. It had a 6 foot timing chain. If they didn't rush it that would have been a hell of a motor. Cam timing , oiling issues and they didn't beef up the block hurt it too. Imagine what nascar would have been like if they didn't ban it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NicholasShetley said:

I was just reading up on that. It had a 6 foot timing chain. If they didn't rush it that would have been a hell of a motor. Cam timing , oiling issues and they didn't beef up the block hurt it too. Imagine what nascar would have been like if they didn't ban it.

Yeah  the early ones were especially bad, the cross bolted mains helped a little, but aside from drilling some galleries out it is difficult to overcome the oiling problems that the whole FE platform has.