Craftsman riding mower - how to refinish mower deck??

olletsocmit

Craftsman LT1000 - 917.272050 - 16hp - 42" deck - Kohler motor

I hope that some of you have some thoughts and good advice here. I have a 10-year-old craftsman riding mower that is in really good condition. I just changed the oil, the air and fuel filter, and replaced the battery & replaced the steering shaft & armpit bushing.

II am having issues with the cut quality, so I just re-sharpened the blades last night. I'll have to look into see if there are some better blades out there for my mower. But the biggest issue is all the grass that gets stuck inside the deck! I'm thinking that I need to go ahead and completely remove the deck & sand the whole deck down inside and repaint. Are there suggestions on a special process I should clean the inside of the deck or I've seen online there are some special kinds of paint. just want to do it right since it's going to be kind of a big project.

We repainted our 3 point mower for our tractor and we sandblasted it to remove the old paint and rust. A wire wheeling an angle grinder would get the same results though. For paint we used some paint from tractor supply, I think it was called Majic or something like that. We used a quart and sprayed it with a paint gun but they do have it in a spray can which would work fine for you. I'm not sure how well it keeps the grass off though, we have never worried about it.

• Like 1

As far as paint goes, I would stick to case IH high performance enamel or Valspar Iron guard. The Case hardener is supposed to help the paint a lot but you have to have a supplied air system for breathing when you shoot that stuff as it is no good.

• Like 2

Gator blades work well. I am having the same problem with my push mower. I was going to clean it and throw a few coats of spray paint and clear it then wax it. They make sprays for decks but I never tried any. When I had my mowing business I just cleaned my decks weekly and never had an issue

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk