Dewalt 20v String Trimmer Good?

I have a 18+ year old Weedeater gas String trimmer that I am finally giving up on.  It is my wife's favorite and she does most of the trimming.  I also have a Sthil but my wife won't use it because it's too heavy.  I don't want to do the trimming, I already spend 2+ hrs cutting the grass with my garden tractor, so I'm looking for a decent battery powered string trimmer that is light weight for my wife.  After reading reviews I'm leaning towards the 20v Dewalt String Trimmer  DCST920P1.  The reviews about the Dewalt seem good and as a plus I can use the batteries for more some Dewalt power tools.  I wish Milwaukee made a string trimmer cause I have plenty 18 & 12v Milwaukee batteries.  Is the Dewalt 20v decent?  Remember I need something lightweight for my wife.

im going on about 5months with mine and love it dude its way lighter than my gas powered one for sure and the runtime is really decent for being battery powered, I have the 20v blower also so between those 2 I can finish my yard with just 1 5.0 battery mind you though my yard isn't that big :( 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisK said:

That's awesome Mike! Get the hedge trimmer next it is friggin phenomenal!!

Bro I've been eyeballing that bad boy already lol!  Maybe fathers day ???? And knowing you give it thumbs up now I'm gonna be wanting it even more!

5 hours ago, redmed said:

I have a 18+ year old Weedeater gas String trimmer that I am finally giving up on.  It is my wife's favorite and she does most of the trimming.  I also have a Sthil but my wife won't use it because it's too heavy.  I don't want to do the trimming, I already spend 2+ hrs cutting the grass with my garden tractor, so I'm looking for a decent battery powered string trimmer that is light weight for my wife.  After reading reviews I'm leaning towards the 20v Dewalt String Trimmer  DCST920P1.  The reviews about the Dewalt seem good and as a plus I can use the batteries for more some Dewalt power tools.  I wish Milwaukee made a string trimmer cause I have plenty 18 & 12v Milwaukee batteries.  Is the Dewalt 20v decent?  Remember I need something lightweight for my wife.

Personally I would never buy battery powered OPE because run time and power are the two biggest concerns of mine. I know you said you wanted battery but I will give you my take on this. I use an Echo SRM 230 (over 20 years old) and a Stihl FS 70R(Just bought for $270) and love both of them. They are not too heavy....for me at least and the Stihl is actually light for me. Which model Stihl do you have? The FS 70 only weighs about 10 pounds and has plenty of power for whatever you need. If you do go with battery powered the DeWalt should be fine. Just make sure to have batteries charged! 

• Like 1

im going on about 5months with mine and love it dude its way lighter than my gas powered one for sure and the runtime is really decent for being battery powered, I have the 20v blower also so between those 2 I can finish my yard with just 1 5.0 battery mind you though my yard isn't that big [emoji20] 

Yeah doing around a long fence row at my house then taking care of a cemetery means I could never use battery, that's why I've never bothered to look into it too much, if I had just a little to do around the house that would be different story....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, DaveJr. said:

Personally I would never buy battery powered OPE because run time and power are the two biggest concerns of mine. I know you said you wanted battery but I will give you my take on this. I use an Echo SRM 230 (over 20 years old) and a Stihl FS 70R(Just bought for $270) and love both of them. They are not too heavy....for me at least and the Stihl is actually light for me. Which model Stihl do you have? The FS 70 only weighs about 10 pounds and has plenty of power for whatever you need. If you do go with battery powered the DeWalt should be fine. Just make sure to have batteries charged! 

I have the Sthil FS46.  It is fine for me but my wife makes a big deal about how she misses her Weedeater and how light it is.  I'm tired of fixing the Weedeater.  My arm is sore trying to get the darn thing started.  The Dewalt 20v has good reviews and has a free extra battery deal going on now.  I'm going for it!   Plus HD is discontinuing most of the Dewalt 40v stuff. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2016 at 9:06 AM, redmed said:

Well I guess they are working on a Milwaukee trimmer. They are having a show. Don't know much about it at all. Just got the picture off of Facebook.

13339445_10154311857999722_5087189820764

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LarryS said:

Well I guess they are working on a Milwaukee trimmer. They are having a show. Don't know much about it at all. Just got the picture off of Facebook.

13339445_10154311857999722_5087189820764

I wish they had one now!

I got the Dewalt 20v trimmer and I'm impressed.  Better yet my wife likes it!

It has more power than I expected and ran it for 20 minutes and its still going.  HD has it now for $199 with a free 3ah battery.  It comes with a 5ah battery and the free 3ah battery is a plus.  I see on the receipt I can return the 3ah battery for $66 which makes the trimmer only cost $132.  Plus this week Menards has their 11% off sale that HD matches, so I can probably get another $14 back.  Bringing the cost of the trimmer down to $118.  I'm happy.

• Like 2

Now that I'm invested into Dewalt.   I bought the two Dewalt 3ah battery deal giving me one 5ah & two 3ah Dewalt batteries.  I'm now looking at the Dewalt tool deals.  My Milwaukee tools will not be happy.

• Like 1

I just watched the Milwaukee demo on TiA. Milwaukee makes those demos pretty subjective but so does Dewalt. Looks like a decent machine but I will stick to my guns. If I get a cordless it'll probably be a Dewalt. Dewalt seems to out a lot of research and time into their (albeit) slow product development but I think that's because of the field testing and development put into those tools. I've had to warranty return 2 brand new Milwaukees and I the two I sold two brand new ones and they had to be returned!!!!!! Great warranty kudos to Milwaukee but I'd rather not be sending back brand new tools I spent serious coin on. I am all for new product design but I'm also all for quality. I'm the guy will save up and buy a tool and spend the cash but quality is always first for me. I'd go with the 40v Dewalt tools but just don't want to add another platform!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Amazon had the baretool for 99 for a while

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With the HD deal you can end up with the trimmer + 5ah battery + charger for $118.  The battery and charger is worth the extra $19.  Unless you already have yellow batteries.  Up into this week all I could see is red (Milwaukee).

Oh let me add! I'm not bashing the line so much as I'm expressing my opinion and factual experience with the line. Milwaukee, Dewalt, Makita, Festool and all of the other ones have a huge fan base. Im pretty well ensconced in a several lines and have my favorites but I have had the most disappointment with my red tools. Could just be a run of bad luck but I stand by my experience. I would also add second place for warranty returns with me? Bosch. I have had to return two EC brushless tools. But, I like my blue tools! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, redmed said:

With the HD deal you can end up with the trimmer + 5ah battery + charger for $118.  The battery and charger is worth the extra $19.  Unless you already have yellow batteries.  Up into this week all I could see is red (Milwaukee).

What HD deal?

4 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Oh let me add! I'm not bashing the line so much as I'm expressing my opinion and factual experience with the line. Milwaukee, Dewalt, Makita, Festool and all of the other ones have a huge fan base. Im pretty well ensconced in a several lines and have my favorites but I have had the most disappointment with my red tools. Could just be a run of bad luck but I stand by my experience. I would also add second place for warranty returns with me? Bosch. I have had to return two EC brushless tools. But, I like my blue tools! 

You may be right about Milwaukee stuff but I now have a big investment in the red stuff.  Two years ago I gave up on my Nicad drills etc and went all in with Milwaukee.  The main reason I went with Milwaukee was their warranty and a good deal on their 12v stuff.  I now have 3 12v drills, 2 12v impacts, 3 18v drills, 3 18v impacts, 3/8 12v ratchet and the 18v 1/2 drive impact beast.  Of all that so far I have only sent one of the 12v drills back because the light would not shut off.  Granted the drill had only light use before the light malfunction, but the new replacement they sent has been trouble free.  I do like the no hassle way they have treated me.  I thought very seriously about going with Rigid because of the lifetime battery, but read about troubles some where having getting warranty coverage.  So far I have been impressed with Milwaukee's warranty treatment sending me a prepaid shipping label to return the defective drill and sending out a new drill replacement with one quick simple phone call.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChrisK said:

What HD deal?

Buy a 20v Dewalt string trimmer, hedge trimmer or blower with a 5ah battery and charger and get a 3ah battery free.  I'm going to return the (free)3ah battery and should get $66 back.  Bringing the price of the string trimmer down to $133 ($199 - $66).   In place of the one 3ah battery I returned, I bought the double pack of 3ah batteries on sale for $99.  I used a HF 20% off coupon to get the double pack of 3ah batteries so for a $14 difference I will end up with two 3ah batteries instead of one.   Also HD will also match the Menards 11% rebate on purchases this week so I should get another 11% back on the string trimmer and extra batteries.   Next week should be some good fathers day sales so I have the option of returning the Dewalt stuff if something better pops up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, redmed said:

Buy a 20v Dewalt string trimmer, hedge trimmer or blower with a 5ah battery and charger and get a 3ah battery free.  I'm going to return the (free)3ah battery and should get $66 back.  Bringing the price of the string trimmer down to $133 ($199 - $66).   In place of the one 3ah battery I returned, I bought the double pack of 3ah batteries on sale for $99.  I used a HF 20% off coupon to get the double pack of 3ah batteries so for a $14 difference I will end up with two 3ah batteries instead of one.   Also HD will also match the Menards 11% rebate on purchases this week so I should get another 11% back on the string trimmer and extra batteries.   Next week should be some good fathers day sales so I have the option of returning the Dewalt stuff if something better pops up.

My HD won't take harbor freight coupons! 

2 hours ago, DR99 said:

Your lucky you have an HD that takes Harbor Freight coupons the majority don't

Find a young cashier to better your chances.  I know of a HD that takes Harbor Freight coupons but it is a long drive for me.  I was out and about in a area I rarely go and was turned down at two HD's.  On my way home I almost did not stop at another because they have only taken the coupon once out of many tries.  I went to a young cashier and she was so new she did not know how to do a competitor's match.  She called over another cashier to help her and she could not get it to take.  They called over another older cashier, and I figured I was screwed, but she did the discount.