Should I buy a brad nailer or finish nailer or both

youngcarpenter

Hey crew 

hope everyone had a good fourth of july! 

So I recently started building furniture for my dad and am ready to buy a nail gun 

now due to my space in my garage and lack of outlets I have to buy a cordless one 

I'm building boxes for storage to be stacked on top of each other to look like a bookshelf kinda unit 

I'm also building a credenza and a few small tables 

My question is should I buy a finish nailer or a brad nailer first? 

Also can finish nails be used to make the boxes? 

Any and all advice or opinions will be extremely helpful 

thanks guys?

Also and input on brands that you've used????

• Like 1

Andrew, in my humble opinion, if your going to be building furniture I would recommend a Brad nailer. Finish nailers are great but leave larger holes to be patched up and they nailers are thicker. With a Brad you can get really small fasteners to that work. Just an opinion but there you go!

• Like 1

I have a 16g nailer and I find that it can be pretty universal as opposed to larger or smaller gauges. As Chris said the hole would be slightly larger but I take that for the universal nature that 16g gives you. You can use 16g for larger stuff that smaller nails simply have no effect on and smaller stuff as well by dialing down the power and using shorter nails, but tiny nails simply have no effect on larger items were strength is necessary. 

24 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I have a 16g nailer and I find that it can be pretty universal as opposed to larger or smaller gauges. As Chris said the hole would be slightly larger but I take that for the universal nature that 16g gives you. You can use 16g for larger stuff that smaller nails simply have no effect on and smaller stuff as well by dialing down the power and using shorter nails, but tiny nails simply have no effect on larger items were strength is necessary. 

Another valid point...

To be honest, I would never use a finish nailer in the construction of furniture building. The gauge is to large. In all honesty the nail is just being used to hold the two pieces together while the glue hardens which actually creates the solid joint. Think of this, the glued panels create a stronger joint than the wood itself. That's why if you've ever tried to pull a piece of molded paneling or decorative wood working from a panel it literally tears the wood fibers apart. The glued joint normally isn't the failure. 

For furniture work I would really stick to the Brad and the 23 gauge pinner. I have the 18v Makita pinner for those fine pieces where even a Brad might be too large. Also, if building a carcass, I would much rather use a screw over a nail. The finish nail gun shines when being used to moldings on walls, doors, windows etc. That's why I love my 20v Dewalt DCN660. I would be remiss in saying that my finish nailer isn't an important tool in my shop, I just don't use it for furniture work!

I know you specifically asked about the Brad vs. Finish but it looks like your speaking to furniture building. If furniture is number one, I'd go with the pinner (23g) and the Brad (18g). I would most certainly grab a finish nailer though if you are doing general carpentry or finish carpentry. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, youngcarpenter said:

thank you I am still deciding between ryobi's 18v nailers an staplers or ridgids 18v nail guns

I can't speak to Ridgids but I did have a Ryobi Airstrike Brad. It was a great nailer that I bought used and eventually the firing pin began to not retract. I ended up using some nail gun lubrication which helped out quite a bit. Anyways. They make a great cordless nail gun. Ridgid is backed by lifetime warranty IF you buy from HD and IF you register.

• Like 1

I bought the Porter Cable deal that came with the compressor, 18 and 16 gauge nailers and the stapler from HD. For the little bit of trim work I have done, I used the 16 gauge. But for all my woodworking needs, I only use the 18 gauge brad nailer. Also I am not building fine furniture but an 18 gauge nailer should work good for you. 

This is the combo that I got. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-6-Gal-Portable-Air-Compressor-16-Gauge-Nailer-18-Gauge-Brad-Nailer-Crown-Stapler-Combo-Kit-PCFP12234/203471431

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I actually have this same question, but in my case, while I'll dabble with furniture when our house is finished towards year's end, in 4 weeks I'll be helping my parents re-do their window trim and baseboards in their house. It's a 2200 sq cedar log house, and the trim is pine I think. 16 gauge Dewalt, or 18g M18? I'll likely end up with both down the road but seeing as the first job is trim, which works better? Also, glue: required? Brads just hold the piece until the glue dries right? As usual there are many opinions and conflicting reports on the internet but I thought I'd get the straight talk from the TIA crew!

3 hours ago, Bremon said:

I actually have this same question, but in my case, while I'll dabble with furniture when our house is finished towards year's end, in 4 weeks I'll be helping my parents re-do their window trim and baseboards in their house. It's a 2200 sq cedar log house, and the trim is pine I think. 16 gauge Dewalt, or 18g M18? I'll likely end up with both down the road but seeing as the first job is trim, which works better? Also, glue: required? Brads just hold the piece until the glue dries right? As usual there are many opinions and conflicting reports on the internet but I thought I'd get the straight talk from the TIA crew!

I always use a 16 gauge nailer for trim work. Glue isn't required but I don't think it will hurt. I don't use it but I know some people swear by it and others, well......not so much.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say this about many tools because I can find a flaw with anything, but I do not think the DCN660 can really be improved upon much. It operates flawlessly. It's accurate. It's ergonomic. Powerful as hell. Extremely reliable. It's a tool that literally doesn't need a sequel. There's no buyers remorse to be had. 

Unless... it literally could shoot different size nails on the fly with some kind of separate feed magazine. And I don't see that happening. Also it's very odd how you can't check the battery level while it's on the tool, and I wish the depth adjustment was numerical...but how minor is that. It delivers more than any tool I've ever used and I had high expectations to begin with. Good luck to any brand that tries to match it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bremon said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence Hugh! Dwain, I'm glad haha. Worst case scenario I'll end up with multiple guns, then gift one down the road. Looking forward to more OTT reviews!

Man I've shot a little over 5,000 nails so far, I've had 2 jams, one of them I forced to see what it was like to clear... which are so easy to clear even Kim Kardashian could figure it out. I've never had to reset the motor switch. I've even shot nails into 1" cement board to secure while adhesive took hold.

Damn thing just delivers. Consistently. 

Man I've shot a little over 5,000 nails so far, I've had 2 jams, one of them I forced to see what it was like to clear... which are so easy to clear even Kim Kardashian could figure it out. I've never had to reset the motor switch. I've even shot nails into 1" cement board to secure while adhesive took hold.

Damn thing just delivers. Consistently. 

Didn't know she could figure anything out outside of showing some skin

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk