Right angle drills

Bremon

Well crew, what are your thoughts on these? Do you use one? What are some anecdotes about the jams they've gotten you out of. What make/model do you use? 

Note, I'm not talking about hole hawgs or super hawgs here, though I'd like to hear stories about them as well. I know they kick serious amounts of ass. 

What I'm talking about is the range of models that seems to be saturated by right angle drills that have 100-200ish inch pounds of torque, 3/8" plastic chucks, and generally a paddle switch. They can be had for cheap, and I'm thinking about picking up a pair (one for myself, one for the DIY kit I keep stocked at my parents' place), but I'm hesitant to if they've been superseded. The ones I've looked at all seem to have come out 6+ years ago. Nowadays I see there are right angled impacts, etc. out there. Is there a place in your toolbox for one of these (or multiple if you are like many of us here on TIA). Thanks crew!

I have m12 right angle drill and impact. I've had to drill out a bolt and only could get my right angle drill in, wish I took a picture. Then had to tap/chase the threads out. Don't see that there was another way to do it, it was priceless.

The right angle impact has also been huge help too, I can get in some tight areas around equipment and sinks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't use a ton, but I have the  old 18V DeWALT (model  unknown and I am too lazy to look). It comes out while working inside cabinets and boxes. I bought it as a bare tool, I think it was worth it. I suggest getting one in a battery line you already and either use it to add batteries to the line too or purchase a bare tool to minimize the price.

• Like 1

The drills are single speed so the torque and speed are mediocre for every application, and the impact drivers don't have space for a good impact mechanism in the head so they hardly have more torque or speed than the drills.  Plus not a single brushless one.  Some manufacturer is going to make a killing when they realize how easy it would be to make an awesome angle drill or impact.

• Like 1

They seem to be fairly inexpensive. I could get M18, M12 of 20v Max, as those are the platforms I have at this point. 

M18 head isn't any bigger than M12, RPM is twice as high, but has a slide pack hanging off its backside. M12 is slowest but has a stem pack, Dewalt is fastest, but doesn't seem to have the electronic clutch, and has a slightly bigger business end. 

Thanks for the video Knarly, that was pretty slick. Seems like the sort of thing that can get you out of trouble. The wrench version seems to overlap duty with the M12 ratchet. 

Like Jeff, I'm also fairly surprised no one has put out a brushless model. Not for run time, but for speed or torque. 

I have the DeWalt 20v right angle drill and I use it a lot. Good LED, compact, multi-position grip and trigger, variable speed trigger, ect. I find I am using it in conjunction with my compact DCD790 drill all the time. I also have the Bosch 12v right angle drill that almost never use. Shame, really.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bremon said:

They seem to be fairly inexpensive. I could get M18, M12 of 20v Max, as those are the platforms I have at this point. 

M18 head isn't any bigger than M12, RPM is twice as high, but has a slide pack hanging off its backside. M12 is slowest but has a stem pack, Dewalt is fastest, but doesn't seem to have the electronic clutch, and has a slightly bigger business end. 

Dewalt because it's dual speed

cordless, i use them for tight access, like popping a hole into the framing at the top of 2 walls. of course, the tinner runs his duct in the way. have a stick makita with dead batteries. have a 12v dewalt, with dead batteries. i may pick up another.

corded, a milwaukee 1/2 to drive hole saws when im doing a 'hot tap'. if the hole saw catches when it comes in contact with the pipe, AND the drill is positioned properly, it wont knock you in the snot locker. had a hole hawg grab, hit me in the chin, and i was out. at least i didnt fall off the ladder, my partner steadied me until i came to.

I know a little bit about large right angle drills. As for smaller ones, never been powerful enough to really appeal to me, for my needs. I do however have both the M12 and M18 right angle impacts, which are great in combination with a stubby self-feeding spade bit for those odd instances.

Large Corded2.jpg

M18 Super Hawg 6b.jpg

• Like 1

Phffter, lucky that a coworker was there when your bell was rung, that's intense.

Sparky, great family pic! How do you like the form factor of the Dewalt "stud and joist" drill in comparison to the hole hawg and super hawg form factor?

1 hour ago, Bremon said:

Sparky, great family pic! How do you like the form factor of the Dewalt "stud and joist" drill in comparison to the hole hawg and super hawg form factor?

Thanks, Bremon! I've been using that older DeWalt there for about 20 years. Went with it because at the time it was the only large RA with bind protection, having a clutch that slips. I prefer the rat tail style of it for countering the counter torque, with it's length. Never found the need to use it with the side handle attached, just brace the rat handle against something when needed.

To be honest, I haven't used that newer DeWalt all that much, as I got the M18 Hole Hawg soon after, and that instantly became pretty much all I use. I know the new cordless DeWalt will be that same form, so am guessing that's maybe why you ask. It is a really nice and powerful drill, and it has not only the mechanical clutch, but also electronic bind control. My preference to the other style is probably more just that I've had that one so long than anything. Well, that and that the newer DeWalt there doesn't always fit into places that the others will. I did score that DWD460 for $44 when Lowes clearance them out.

• Like 2

I would love to have a right angle drill that the shank of your bit can pass through the chuck into the back of the right angle head, so you can really get into tight spaces, and then as you drill further into whatever material, loosen the chuck, pull some more of the bit further and tighten it to drill some more. I would be impressed then.

Basically instead of being limited to only getting as short as the back of the chuck will allow, have it pass through the back side of the right angle head

23 hours ago, Bremon said:

What I'm talking about is the range of models that seems to be saturated by right angle drills that have 100-200ish inch pounds of torque, 3/8" plastic chucks, and generally a paddle switch.

The M12 right-angle impact has 600 in lbs of torque. It's 1/4" hex will hold even just 1" long bits. It's out in the truck, but I'm thinking that with saw a 1" phillips bit in it, you only need something just over 1.5" of clearance, so it'll get in some really tight places. Unless maybe if you're looking for something to drill metal with twist drills much more than you would be driving fasteners, I'd say impact is the way to go.