Diablo blade stabilizer "vent" filled?

Jams

I just bought a Diablo 10" blade and noticed that the stabilizer "vents" are filled with some sort of plastic material. The vents are not open, i.e. can't see through them. I don't remember previous blades having this filler in the vents. I would think the material is just going to burn/melt when I use the blade.

Has anyone else noticed this? Should I remove the material before using the vent? The instructions don't say anything about this.

See pics.

Thanks.

2016-08-27 10.41.40.jpg

Blade Vent.JPG

• Like 1

The cutouts prevent vibration and add stability to the blade to keep them quiet and smooth. One thing I've noticed is that pitch builds up in these cutouts sometimes with PT lumber, I believe these fillers are to keep matter from getting trapped and unbalancing the blade, meaning they can put them closer to the outside of the blade without worry of it causing the instability.

If it didn't add to the quality of the blade, they wouldn't spend the extra money and time to develop it and put it into production. 

• Like 3

Thanks, guys.

Hugh, you just might be right. One thing I noticed is that my D1050X blade has a different vent pattern from the D1050X blade shown on Freud's website where the vents are closer to the arbor (see pic below and compare with one above). They may have added the filler when moving the vents closer to the cutting edge.

I'll let you know what Freud's customer support says. 

Freud Diablo D1050X.JPG

• Like 1

Here's what Freud (Diablo) said:

"The filler in the slot should stay in the slot.  Was it out of the slot when you purchased it?

The one you have is the latest design.  The web site just has not been updated yet."

• Like 1

• 4 years later...