Cheapest retail battery pack ever? Or fire hazard.

pancing

Nice enough for me. I keep a 3/8 impact in my truck handy with the $20 2.0 on it and it does very well when I just have some hose clamps or equipment covers to pull off. Used it the other day replacing a fan and muffler on a loader. The 2.0 battery never even warmed up. The 1.5 might be different. It's not worth it to me to get the 1.5 because I would rather pony up a whole ten dollars for another .5 amp hour.

• Like 1

I'm really wondering about that 3year warranty. I bet that is going to be a hassle, pretty much everything will probably be labeled as wear and tear. People probably won't complain at a $10 battery not being warrantied so they end up buying more, then they buy more tools to fit in the line. Lets see how long these tools and batteries last with regular use. I almost want to buy one just to take it apart to see what cells they're using, I doubt they're name brand.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Homeowners dread spending a fortune on batteries later to keep their old tools working.  Having $10 batteries on the shelf will help a lot of kits sell for Christmas and they can normalize the price later.

I think instead of the Ridgid LSA Kobalt is going to say look just buy cheap batteries and don't worry. The only thing in the 4.0's are still 50 cheap compared to the norm but not dirt cheap.

8 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

Batteries don't cost $150 to manufacture. It's the one item we can't do without and the one item that has the most profit. Obviously they are giving it away, but they aren't losing much. Cells are cheap, plastic is cheap and little circuit board are cheap!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Exactly, there is a lot of markup in the big manufacturers, that's why the kit costs lowers the price soo much and why Milwaukee can run free battery promos soo often. Then you take out the name brand (expensive) cells Dewalt and Milwaukee uses and the batteries are dirt cheap. Keep in mind with Dewalt and Milwaukee you're paying for R&D and advertising that Kobalt doesn't really have or at least not to the same level.

• Like 2