DeWalt Tough System Rack

RickyMcGrath

Currently with the $25 off holiday special, purchasing 9 pair of the Dewalt DWST08212 brackets in a single order from CPO brings the price to approx. $12.22 per pair. Ordering 7 units sets the price at approx. $12.41 per pair. They seem to be out of stock on the rack systems at the moment. Outside of the convenience, I am thinking that building my own mounting rail sets might be the way to go.

Yes, it is a disappointment in quality. If you really break it down, these can still be great units for light to mid weight tools and accessories. Let's look at the weigh capacities.... are the 176 lb brackets overkill? How much can you realistically get into a Tough Box and still comfortably lift the box up and put it into the brackets? These less expensive brackets, based solely on math, should be rated up to 88lbs. So, in the most aggressive situation, i.e.; trailer, you should be able to put 50-60 lbs in the boxes no problem and the jolting around in the trailer will keep it under 88lbs of gravitational force.

Let's say you do have a box or two that you absolutely need to put more than the 88lbs, it will most likely be an XL box and surely that box will be either set on the ground or the deck of your trailer.

In summary; we had high expectations because those that use the system already, know how sturdy and heavy duty the brackets were and we didn't consider DeWalt re-engineering the brackets for another part of the same system. You have to ask, are the 176 lb brackets really necessary for YOUR situation?
  • Like 2

For me, I would prefer the steel pins in the hinge points for longevity over weight rating. I simply do not trust the looks of the lighter weight brackets, that come with the rack kit, to last as long or put up with the every day use they might receive over time. Doubly so if they are in a mobile storage design. Shock load is quite the different animal compared to static load.