DeWalt Tough System Rack

RickyMcGrath

Initial Impressions:

Seems to be well built for stationary use. I have a few reservations if you were to mount them in a van, box truck or trailer. The biggest disappointment is that DeWalt re-engineered the DS Carrier brackets. The ones that come with this kit are much lighter weight and do not have the large pin to secure the brackets to the square posts. I can see how they managed to sell these as kits with 5 pair of brackets that normally run $15-$20 a pair when bought individually.

Part of the re-engineering is the brackets have through holes so you can secure shelves to the brackets.

The racks are modular and I don't see why you wouldn't be able to stack units on top of each other to get taller units. I would be a little concerned about weight if you went too high.

Overall: worth $100 as long as you don't have crazy expectations for them. I wouldn't plan on stacking 5 boxes loaded with heavy equipment or hardware.

I may order 2 more to set them up as a large single wall unit and put a shelf across a few of them for batteries and chargers. Still thinking of the details.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickyMcGrath said:

Initial Impressions:

Seems to be well built for stationary use. I have a few reservations if you were to mount them in a van, box truck or trailer. The biggest disappointment is that DeWalt re-engineered the DS Carrier brackets. The ones that come with this kit are much lighter weight and do not have the large pin to secure the brackets to the square posts. I can see how they managed to sell these as kits with 5 pair of brackets that normally run $15-$20 a pair when bought individually.

Part of the re-engineering is the brackets have through holes so you can secure shelves to the brackets.

The racks are modular and I don't see why you wouldn't be able to stack units on top of each other to get taller units. I would be a little concerned about weight if you went too high.

Overall: worth $100 as long as you don't have crazy expectations for them. I wouldn't plan on stacking 5 boxes loaded with heavy equipment or hardware.

I may order 2 more to set them up as a large single wall unit and put a shelf across a few of them for batteries and chargers. Still thinking of the details.

Ricky did u receive today? We weren't home and ups left a note not sure if it was the rack or not cus we have so many things coming from amazon and target dang Christmas gifts :/ hopefully it will be here tomorrow:}

• Like 1

Damn Well Ain't that abi@$%!...... I was super excited for this system to I'm hoping at least I can get a couple years out of them.... are any of you guys returning?

I'm keeping it. I didn't plan on putting anything heavy on these. If I do, I'll swap these lighter weight brackets over to my custom built wall rack and put the heavier duty ones on this rack.

It's not a major deal honestly. 77Ford and I have been using the heavy duty brackets for a while and assumed the brackets would be the same. We are probably over analyzing it. I'm sure they're fine. If they're not, I'll make DeWalt send me the heavier duty ones in exchange.

• Like 1

Consumers play a role as well. Shopping price point vs quality on average means corners are cut even on flagship tools. 

I would agree in most situations but DeWalt has set a high standard with their Toughsystem product. All of it is priced higher then your standard plastic tool box and worth it in my opinion. This wall system does not fit in this category. DeWalt should have provided the standard brackets and priced it at $150 vs. $100 and it would have been a better value.

Tough Tool Reviews on Instragram

Currently with the $25 off holiday special, purchasing 9 pair of the Dewalt DWST08212 brackets in a single order from CPO brings the price to approx. $12.22 per pair. Ordering 7 units sets the price at approx. $12.41 per pair. They seem to be out of stock on the rack systems at the moment. Outside of the convenience, I am thinking that building my own mounting rail sets might be the way to go.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JMG said:

Currently with the $25 off holiday special, purchasing 9 pair of the Dewalt DWST08212 brackets in a single order from CPO brings the price to approx. $12.22 per pair. Ordering 7 units sets the price at approx. $12.41 per pair. They seem to be out of stock on the rack systems at the moment. Outside of the convenience, I am thinking that building my own mounting rail sets might be the way to go.

Some reason I seem to remember someone doing just that....