Rolgear screwdrivers

KnarlyCarl

Hey, @BMack37 I don't think you have quite enough screwdrivers...

Guy over on IG sent me a Rolgear "ratcheting" screwdriver, super nice of him, and I really like it.

I've actually never personally owned a ratcheting screwdriver, but have used a couple from friends, and never really liked them because of the resistance to turning and that would require holding onto the fastener to counteract the stiffer ratcheting mechanism.

There is no ratchet with these, I guess they use a ball and ramp to create a smooth action and no resistance when turning back again...

Quick little video I put together on my first use..

This is the page of my screwdriver:

Multibit Ratchet Screwdriver 8 Tips (Power Bits)

2015-March-Rolgear-Logo-02-250x63.jpg

• Like 2

I love my snap on just love it idk if that thing can compete with it, when you pick up a snap on hard handle ratcheting screwdriver you instantly can tell it's a quality tool and it's very smooth and strong and it's warrantied for life. I own 1 and my wife liked it so much we got her a pink one definitely our go to screwdrivers and the bits are awesome as well. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2016 at 7:36 PM, BMack37 said:

Yeah, I saw your post on IG. Was planning on checking it out later when I got on a computer, thanks for the link!

16 minutes ago, DerekTheToolGuy said:

I love my snap on just love it idk if that thing can compete with it, when you pick up a snap on hard handle ratcheting screwdriver you instantly can tell it's a quality tool and it's very smooth and strong and it's warrantied for life. I own 1 and my wife liked it so much we got her a pink one definitely our go to screwdrivers and the bits are awesome as well. 

Cool, I'm definitely giving it a good test... doing bit different work with it than you two would probably, getting it a little wet and gross during plumbing tasks, i'll see how nasty I can get it LOL

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Cool, I'm definitely giving it a good test... doing bit different work with it than you two would probably, getting it a little wet and gross during plumbing tasks, i'll see how nasty I can get it LOL

Yeah, my screwdrivers stay pretty clean most of the time. Sometimes I get some dirt or grease but I generally clean them up regardless...your line of work will beat the hell out of it, lets see if any of that gunk kills the ratcheting function.

• Like 1

I picked one of these up today - well actuall Amazon delivered it. I have to say that I'm quite impressed. The ratchet really is silent and perfectly smooth. The switch mechanism is solid and I never get the feeling that I'm going to switch it accidentally like I do with many other ratchet screwdrivers.  It it remains to be seen how well the bits grip screws, but there's a good selection of Phillips (I've never had another multi-but driver with a ph0), Roberts and torx bits. 

To top it all off, the fact that it's made in Canada and not China and only cost $25 makes it a winner in my books. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, khariV said:

I picked one of these up today - well actuall Amazon delivered it. I have to say that I'm quite impressed. The ratchet really is silent and perfectly smooth. The switch mechanism is solid and I never get the feeling that I'm going to switch it accidentally like I do with many other ratchet screwdrivers.  It it remains to be seen how well the bits grip screws, but there's a good selection of Phillips (I've never had another multi-but driver with a ph0), Roberts and torx bits. 

To top it all off, the fact that it's made in Canada and not China and only cost $25 makes it a winner in my books. 

Awesome yes, love that it's made in Canada, good stuff there.

It's a good screwdriver and doesn't slip under heavy torque(not yet at least and I've really put it under good load)

The selection of bits is great! The double sided bits is a good idea, however, the magnet does not hold onto them as well as I'd like because the ends are much smaller surface then the flat of a regular hex bit. Since they are double ended, I grab the double slotted bit, which means the end of the bit that goes into the business end of the screwdriver only has a very small area to sit on the magnet. It holds onto the bit ok but tends to pull out if you have a little bit of resistance when pulling the screwdriver off the fastener head.

I want to swap out the double ended bits for regular bits with flat ends to increase the magnets effectiveness. I've tried that with a couple bits already and it works great! 

The ratcheting(ratchet-less?) mechanism is sick tho!!!! Once I swap out the double ended bits for single ends this will be my perfect setup!!

I know I'm losing half my available sizes, but I only use a quarter of them anyways. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Awesome post Not Carl :)

Man, I have to get on social media. Really cool tool.

I must say it(Instagram) has fueled my tool game by getting quite a few free goodies, not trying to persuade anyone one way or the other, and there's no replacement for this forum, but there's a number of the crew that have been the recipients of giveaways (SURE WISH THEY WOULD POST THEM HERE ALRRADY!!:D). A big downside is there is little organization when looking for a post submitted there, can't just search for one post with a description, among other things that a forum can do. However, information and ideas and the knowledge base is huge. And I have received multiple tips and tricks for my line of work... You can run into the jackwads tho, can't escape the idiots anywhere you go.

The cold hard truth is that ig has way more activity and interaction than here so that's why the Bosch reaxx saw is up for grabs over there and not here or YouTube, if anyone was wondering.

Southwire has also jumped on board for the TIA giveaway and is throwing in a large jobsite tool lock box to be given away at the same time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BMack37 said:

I'm going to have to pick this up, it is smaller than my Gearwrench ratcheting screwdrivers...which are a little bulky for my tastes

I'm toying with the idea of getting single screwdrivers in my most common used sizes....

• Like 1