Dewalt flex volt

mudslinger09

13 hours ago, Turner85 said:

Would u not get screwed on taxes and you will also have no warranty. If you get a faulty unit you will need to ship it back to the states. As much as I'm always tempted by the idea of ordering from the states I just don't think it's really worth it

I've had the same thoughts buying from the U.K. but ended up getting the Festool HKC at a great price from Axminster, I did not have to pay any import fees with the,, I assume it was in the shipping costs. Though at the time Festool USA did not have the HKC for warranty purposes, they had me list the tool on their site by serial number on the TS55REQ listing and assured me it is covered if there is an issue. However, if I had to re wire the kit, it would obviously be voided. The nice thing with the cordless tools, the tool itself should be fine, it's the charger that would be the problem I should think. Regardless, you have a really good point and before I dropped coin, I sure would want to know too!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

That's cool. I wasn't sure if it needed more than that.

Well it means they need to be used with a transformer also because they would be 110v. Which is the way tools are used on site here anyway. Power tools are sold in two different voltages in the UK, 240v for diy guys and then tradesmen tend to use the 110v because that's all that's allowed on most sites because of health and safety laws here

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mudslinger09 said:

Might try it anyway, even with the tax and shipping still works out alot cheaper.

What flexvolt tools are you looking to buy, be careful with saws because the blade arbor is different which means you won't be able to get blades over here. I'm not sure if the grinder arbor is any different. 

5 hours ago, ChrisK said:

I've had the same thoughts buying from the U.K. but ended up getting the Festool HKC at a great price from Axminster, I did not have to pay any import fees with the,, I assume it was in the shipping costs. Though at the time Festool USA did not have the HKC for warranty purposes, they had me list the tool on their site by serial number on the TS55REQ listing and assured me it is covered if there is an issue. However, if I had to re wire the kit, it would obviously be voided. The nice thing with the cordless tools, the tool itself should be fine, it's the charger that would be the problem I should think. Regardless, you have a really good point and before I dropped coin, I sure would want to know too!

Did blade arbor not affect you in this case Chris

16 minutes ago, Turner85 said:

Did blade arbor not affect your this case Chris

No Dave, Festool uses proprietary blades for their specific arbor which is the European 20mm with 160mm max blade size. In the USA Festool tools are still sold in that standard though they are starting to introduce imperial scale. I'll stick with Metric though, way easier to calculate. Regardless I can buy Festool blades at my local Woodcraft when needed and there are still several aftermarket blades available for my Kapex too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChrisK said:

That is cool that Festool USA covers a grey market tool!!

What flexvolt tools are you looking to buy, be careful with saws because the blade arbor is different which means you won't be able to get blades over here. I'm not sure if the grinder arbor is any different. 

Looking at the flex volt circular saw.
Works out over €600 to buy in Ireland with 2 battries, with shipping and tax still alot cheaper from the US.

On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 8:12 PM, mudslinger09 said:

Looking at the flex volt circular saw.
Works out over €600 to buy in Ireland with 2 battries, with shipping and tax still alot cheaper from the US.

You will get it for around €520 from the U.K, I know it's still a bit dearer than the U.S but at least you've warranty and the option to buy blades on home soil. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...