Looking to get a wood planer.

Matty

http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/routers-planers-and-joiners/planers-and-joiners/1212-thickness-planer-with-three-knife-cutterhead/dw734

Dewalt DW 734 three blade planer. I've had mine for maybe three years. Still on the same set of blades. Phenomenal planer. I had once though of going with the 735 but I really cannot justify that expense when my 734 is so freakin' awesome.

• Like 2

I've also been looking. I've gone back and forth between the DeWalt 734 and 735. Having a difficult time figuring out if it's worth the extra $$$ to get the newer model. I've seen a lot of love for the 734 from the people that have it... Let us know what you choose.

How do you do this?

Check your hd to see if they accept competitor coupons like Jimbo said. My HD is great about it. I've used them on my planer, tile saw, water heater, parallel clamps, and other things. To get the rebate type in home depot 11% rebate into Google and a PDF is the first link. The week will be highlighted. Print it, make a copy of your in store purchase (can't be online) and wait for your gift card.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have the Dewalt DW 733 and couldn't be happier with it. Great machine. It was my grandpa's so it has run a lot boards and still works like a champ. If the DW 734 is like the 733 then it is a great machine.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Check your hd to see if they accept competitor coupons like Jimbo said. My HD is great about it. I've used them on my planer, tile saw, water heater, parallel clamps, and other things. To get the rebate type in home depot 11% rebate into Google and a PDF is the first link. The week will be highlighted. Print it, make a copy of your in store purchase (can't be online) and wait for your gift card.

The Menards isn't hard at all if it's a competitor in your area which is a good chance if your in the midwest.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

depends on what kind of planner your talking. if you talking about an electric hand panner then I would recommend the dewalt 20v brushless panner. If your talking a thickness planner then I would go with what @ChrisK suggested. If you are wanting a manual planner then you should get both a number 7 for jointing and a number 4 for smoothing.

5 hours ago, Jronman said:

depends on what kind of planner your talking. if you talking about an electric hand panner then I would recommend the dewalt 20v brushless panner. If your talking a thickness planner then I would go with what @ChrisK suggested. If you are wanting a manual planner then you should get both a number 7 for jointing and a number 4 for smoothing.

$400 would be a hell of a budget for a hand planer 

• Like 2

FYI - http://www.cpopowertools.com is selling brand new DeWalt DW734's for $399 (which is the normal price), and they are currently offering 17% off for the new year with the promo code HELLO2017. Brings the price down to about $330. Heck of a deal if you're still looking. Free shipping too I believe. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2016 at 7:51 PM, ChrisK said:

http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/routers-planers-and-joiners/planers-and-joiners/1212-thickness-planer-with-three-knife-cutterhead/dw734

Dewalt DW 734 three blade planer. I've had mine for maybe three years. Still on the same set of blades. Phenomenal planer. I had once though of going with the 735 but I really cannot justify that expense when my 734 is so freakin' awesome.

Just saw this thread, and was thinking about a planer some time this year, I was going back and forth with the two different dewalts 

On 2017-01-02 at 1:00 AM, Conductor562 said:

$400 would be a hell of a budget for a hand planer 

Festool makes one now don't they? In which case $400 probably won't cut it :lol:

734/735 is what I'll be looking at down the road. For now the XR 20v Max mini version is all I have. 

8 minutes ago, Bremon said:

Festool makes one now don't they? In which case $400 probably won't cut it :lol:

734/735 is what I'll be looking at down the road. For now the XR 20v Max mini version is all I have. 

Yeah.....it's a little more than that. A liiiitle more than that ;)

• Like 1