Dewalt FLEVOLT Grinder - oztooltalk Review

dwain

The only thing I don't like about flexvolt is you can't use a 20v max battery with them it would be nice if all your flexvolt batteries are dead you could pop in a 20v and it could still work with less power

• Like 2

The thing that jumps out at me is that slick looking side handle in the screenshot. The handle that came with mine is a plastic lump of crap. My Fuel models came with a far nicer side handle that has a softer grip and I would guess some dampening.

I realize I'm paying attention to minute details here but it would be nice if Dewalt paid attention to them for once. I love the FlexVolt gear and I love this grinder but god damn; everything about FlexVolt is "put all the budget into class-leading power, forget everything else". Power is great but why can't I have a big V8 *and* air conditioning? :lol:

• Like 3

great review. i got this recently and used it already extensively. runs way more cool than my corded grinders. probably shouldn't be using flap discs on cheaper grinders but when they are 20 bucks and pretty much disposable, i really dont care. the flex volt grinder does it no problem and stays cool. for cutting, its a beast.

only gripe i have about it is the charger that came with it. it is a straight up wind turbine when charging. i can hear the thing from almost 3 booths away at my shop.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bremon said:

The thing that jumps out at me is that slick looking side handle in the screenshot. The handle that came with mine is a plastic lump of crap. My Fuel models came with a far nicer side handle that has a softer grip and I would guess some dampening.

I realize I'm paying attention to minute details here but it would be nice if Dewalt paid attention to them for once. I love the FlexVolt gear and I love this grinder but god damn; everything about FlexVolt is "put all the budget into class-leading power, forget everything else". Power is great but why can't I have a big V8 *and* air conditioning? :lol:

I have a V8 and my air conditioner is broken. I just tell myself the world hates me and that's why I can't have nice things.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, x1xkodiakx1x said:

great review. i got this recently and used it already extensively. runs way more cool than my corded grinders. probably shouldn't be using flap discs on cheaper grinders but when they are 20 bucks and pretty much disposable, i really dont care. the flex volt grinder does it no problem and stays cool. for cutting, its a beast.

only gripe i have about it is the charger that came with it. it is a straight up wind turbine when charging. i can hear the thing from almost 3 booths away at my shop.   

I still much prefer that fan noise to the neurotic squeal of the Milwaukee rapid charger. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2017 at 0:39 PM, Logan said:

The only thing I don't like about flexvolt is you can't use a 20v max battery with them it would be nice if all your flexvolt batteries are dead you could pop in a 20v and it could still work with less power

Are you sure ? I was under the impression you could.

On 1/2/2017 at 11:49 AM, RickyMcGrath said:

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that the gear housing is perfectly symmetrical so you can unscrew the gear housing and rotate it 90 degrees to improve ergonomics if you're into production work with repetitive cutting.

Yes, there was a video on this, but I can't remember where I saw that.

Oh wait! It was a periscope of Scott at Total Tool South Melbourne in Australia, and showed how he did this... probably long gone now..

But i found this:

On 1/5/2017 at 7:31 PM, dwain said:

Man I love this forum, you guys are awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet review, I am really pumped about the new Metabo coming out with their crazy 36v grinders, no doubt stepping up the game once again...

• Like 1

Sweet review, I am really pumped about the new Metabo coming out with their crazy 36v grinders, no doubt stepping up the game once again...

In sure them Germans were laughing at us silky Americans and our 54v grinder

Jimbo

sent from tapatalk

• Like 2

On 1/2/2017 at 8:49 AM, RickyMcGrath said:

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that the gear housing is perfectly symmetrical so you can unscrew the gear housing and rotate it 90 degrees to improve ergonomics if you're into production work with repetitive cutting.

Almost every grinder does this, though I prefer barrel grip so I only turn them by accident doing repairs.

11 minutes ago, dwain said:

Hmm I find it difficult ult to imagine any grinder (even from Metabo) making the 54v grinder laughable!!

Yeah it's only a 9 inch grinder.  Why would anyone care about that? lol

• Like 1

Yeah it's only a 9 inch grinder.  Why would anyone care about that? lol

I didn't say no one would care! I can't wait to play with it.

I just thought that it making the 54V Dewalt seem laughable/boring was quite an overstatement [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk