New Planer Stand

rrmccabe

Just finished this project yesterday. About a week ago I ordered a new planer. Its actually my first.

As with most of us, floor space is precious so I try to design things so they store efficiently.

DISCLAIMER: I have a problem with easy setup and having stuff ready.  I am embarrassed to say I will gnaw through a piece of wood using a pair of pliers before I will take the time to pull a miter saw off the shelf, setup a stand and get it plugged in.

The main reason for my flip top design was to have the planer at a comfortable working height and then be able to flip it down and slide it under one of my work benches. I would have loved to add a second tool on the top but then it would not fit under my bench. It seemed like a waste to have the second surface with nothing on it so I decided to incorporate a section of old Festool MFT top into the flip side which will allow me to use my 20mm dogs and Festool clamps.

I built it at the exact same height as my Festool MFT table so I can use it as a support extension if needed.

Everything I built starts in CAD.  I used to do everything in AutoCAD but switched to Sketchup a few years ago.

So here is the stand with the rotating tables shown in both locations.

stand.png

Here it is with the planer in working position.

planer stand (1).jpg

And here it is flipped over with the Festool top up.

planer stand (2).jpg

And finally, the main design objective with it stored away.

planer stand (3).jpg

• Like 5

Rich, how easy is that to flip over with the planer mounted on it? I know that planer is really heavy.

Does the top rotate or do you need to physically take it out and flip it?

When I move my planer around on its stand, it feels like it could tip over if I wasn't careful.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That flip top stand looks great. I am really liking mine so far. @tugnut you don't take the planer off. It is easy to flip over. With only one tool it is top heavy so you have to steady it when you flip it. Mine is slightly off center due to me using too big of a bit the first time. It works thought to help clear the out fees table.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, tugnut1 said:

Rich, how easy is that to flip over with the planer mounted on it? I know that planer is really heavy.

Super Easy John.  One handed.  The handles on top of planer are in perfect spot and ideal for rotating it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimboS1ice said:

looks great dude, is that a down draft table on the other side?

Ah-hem:

It seemed like a waste to have the second surface with nothing on it so I decided to incorporate a section of old Festool MFT top into the flip side which will allow me to use my 20mm dogs and Festool clamps.

• Like 1