Hand tools......

Framer joe

So just wondering what other guys have for the home garage,,,,I'm no mechanic, but I pieced together a chest of tools (Dewalt tool chest,definitely not a pro chest)  just from advice on YT ,blogs, forums....

....Klein screwdrivers (cushion grip) and electrical stuff

....Bahco adjustable wrenches

...Tekton impact sockets (deep/shallow) 3/8 and 1/2, breaker bar, torque wrench,misc

...Channellock pliers

...Craftsman floor jack,creeper

Just curious if guys use Milwaukee ,Dewalt or other brand hand tools for mechanical work, I use those brands and husky at work..

7 hours ago, Framer joe said:

So just wondering what other guys have for the home garage,,,,I'm no mechanic, but I pieced together a chest of tools (Dewalt tool chest,definitely not a pro chest)  just from advice on YT ,blogs, forums....

....Klein screwdrivers (cushion grip) and electrical stuff

....Bahco adjustable wrenches

...Tekton impact sockets (deep/shallow) 3/8 and 1/2, breaker bar, torque wrench,misc

...Channellock pliers

...Craftsman floor jack,creeper

Just curious if guys use Milwaukee ,Dewalt or other brand hand tools for mechanical work, I use those brands and husky at work..

Bahco male really nice socket sets for the money, nicer than dewalt imo they are part of the same group as snap-on. They are made in Spain rather than Sweden now but they are still really nice

I use to turn wrenches at a farm equipment dealership, so most of what I have is 20+ years old, I have a big Craftsman rolling toolbox set, 9 drawer lower, 12 drawer upper with a hinged lid that covers drawers when down. The top box is a whole lot more secure than a box with a rear internal lock bar, some coworkers had those type and they may rattle open going up the road, then tip over and make a mess if unsecured. The Craftsman is a much better value than a Snap-on or Mac. The top and bottom together cost less than a similar sized truck brand bottom box and the top box generally costs 1 1/2 times what the bottom box costs. I kept a folding shelf on the side of it. 

As for tools inside of it, most of my wrenches, sockets and screwdrivers are SK, adjustable wrenches are Crescent, my pliers are almost all Channelock, my locking pliers are Vise Grips, my ball peen hammers and soft faced hammers were Blue Point or Snap-on, impact tools like chisels and punches were Snap-on or Mac (can't beat a lifetime warranty in something you beat with a hammer, as well as they were always in stock, never asked any questions and  were by the shop weekly), Specialty tools like snap ring pliers, tap and die set and hand held impact driver (nothing removes a stuck screw like it) are Snap-on as well as any really oddball stuff that nobody else makes like a 1 3/16" combination wrench (it cost more than the 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" SK above and below it.combined did). As for air tools and sockets, Ingersoll Rand made a beast in the 244 impact wrench and she is till hammering today when asked. I have no doubt it has more torque than some 3/4" guns.

There are pretty much two schools of thought on a lot of mechanics tools, smooth and polished wrenches and ratchets like Mac or Snap-on are easier to keep clean and knurled and rougher texture like SK, Proto's satin finish and Craftsman wrenches make it easier to grab it when it is wet, or greasy. I tend to believe the latter myself, nothing like trying to pick up a wrench that has been dropped in bucket of hydraulic oil.

• Like 1

Dewalt mechanic tool set 204pc, Tekton, snap on, craftsman and other miscellaneous tools I've picked up thru the years oh and Milwaukee impacts wrenchs are the shiznit!! All my impact wrenches have made me mula and life so much easier 

9 hours ago, Big Adam said:

If this is true, Dewalt must be sending all their reject stock to the UK. Dewalt pliers in particular are shocking.

I apologize, I can't say that I own a pair of their pliers. All I have is their wrenches and the socket set, which I do like.

Interesting ..I figured the hard core tool guys on here , would have a majority of 1 brand,then add fillers.  I know my bud is a mechanic and he says a lot of guys get the top of the line for show.....other brands would work well ,but there's a "name brand" ego thing at work.      I could see that in a shop setting working around other mechanics,but not if you work alone. 

Myself , I think SnapOn may make certain tools that are the best...but a  lot of other companies make some nice tools too.....personally I have no idea if "A" company makes the best screwdrivers and "B" company makes the best wrenches ..Iin the past I would grab whatever I had,,,,usually it was a Craftsman and if it didn't break I figured it was a good tool......

This forum is a helpful ,informative place for ideas and info, I for one appreciate it...thanks

• Like 1

My screwdrivers are Wera, wrenches/sockets are all Mastercraft and Mastercraft Maximum (Canadian Tire house brand). I'll be adding a plethora of Wera Jokers to the lineup and I'm interested in the new Milwaukee Taiwanese combo wrenches. My only "adjustables" are 4 pairs of Knipex pliers wrench and 4 Cobras/Raptor. All my pliers are Knipex. My hammers are a handful of Estwings in various weights and faces. All of my impact wrenches are M18 Fuel. I enjoy high end hand tools, but where impact sockets are concerned I'm quite happy with value priced chrome-moly sockets. Country of origin is reasonably important to me but I have absolutely no interest in buying overpriced (in my opinion) wrenches manufactured by a finance company with good service: ie, SnapOn. 

• Like 1

Lately I feel I have been getting more into my hand tools. I guess in the back of my mind I know that every manufacturer will always come out with a better battery platform, newer tools, etc. With hand tools I guess if you take care of them and don't lose them they should, in theory, last forever? In a perfect world. 

Wera Screwdrivers; Klein Nutdrivers; Napa Pro, channellock and Klein Pliers; Gearwrench and Carlyle sockets; sunex impact sockets; Pittsburgh, Gearwrench, Tekton, Husky, Stanley, Proto, and Duralast wrenches; Proto, Snap-on, SK, Gearwench, Blackhawk, Crescent, Pittsburgh, and Carlyle ratchets (Proto being my preference); Proto and Wilde punches/chisels; Wilde, Sunex, and Proto prybars; Estwing, Colin's Axe, Proto, Napa, Stanley, and Pittsburgh hammers; Proto hex keys; Hanson and Proto extractors; Hanson taps and dies; Stanley, Swanson, and General measuring and marking; Ridgid and Proto pipe wrenches; Proto Pullers; Lenox, Stanley, and DeWalt cutting tools; Proto testers.

My mechanics wrenches are mostly Mac Tools and SK. Sockets are a combo of Mac SK Sunex and some Snap on. Screw drivers SK and Mac.  I also have some craftsman sets I kept in the work trucks when I owned a tree svc.

I have one Dewalt impact socket set and would not buy again. I prefer sockets that have a step in them to hold a nut or bolt. I hate when they slide down into the socket.

Gearwrench ratchet to go with a kobalt socket set(cheap Lowes brand, wedding gift). Gearwrench pass through 3/8 and 1/4 set. Mostly Gearwrench combination wrenches with the odd Stanley or cheapo thrown in. Gearratchet screwdriver and nut driver set. Full set of Cat's Paw screwdrivers (they are very nice!). Mintcraft mallet, Plumb hammer. Mayhew punches when I can find them. Power tools are Milwaukee or Bosch.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

• Like 1