Track Saw Use

Jronman

So I finally got the Flexvolt track saw. I am very new to track saws. I currently have the Flex track saw t1 kit, 2 track clamps, one medium track, and one long track. I have seen people use wax and also seen squares specifically for squaring up the track. Do I need wax or a "track square" and if so any suggestions on what to get?  Also is there any other accessories or whatever I may need for my track saw besides what I already got?

When you connect the tracks, before you tighten the connectors slide your new saw so the two ends meet in the middle of the saws shoe. This will ensure that the tracks are straight. Tighten the connectors. Then mark your measurements and lay the chip strip on the line. That's where the cut will be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ChrisK said:

When you connect the tracks, before you tighten the connectors slide your new saw so the two ends meet in the middle of the saws shoe. This will ensure that the tracks are straight. Tighten the connectors. Then mark your measurements and lay the chip strip on the line. That's where the cut will be. 

connect the tracks?

4 hours ago, Jronman said:

connect the tracks?

I am assuming that Dewalt tracks are like Festool and Makita and you can join the tracks together with bar connectors to allow you to cut full length sheets of plywood. But joining the, and placing the saw directly over the seam this ensures that the two tracks are straight and not offset.

• Like 1

I don't know what the Dewalt track connector looks like or how well it straightens up the two pieces, but another way is to use a long straight edge (a level works well) to make sure the two tracks are in alignment.  The Festool ones are a bit dodgy in this respect and not up to par with the rest of their system.  The Betterly track connectors are much better, but I'm not sure if they're compatible with the Dewalt tracks.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChrisK said:

I am assuming that Dewalt tracks are like Festool and Makita and you can join the tracks together with bar connectors to allow you to cut full length sheets of plywood. But joining the, and placing the saw directly over the seam this ensures that the two tracks are straight and not offset.

15 hours ago, khariV said:

I don't know what the Dewalt track connector looks like or how well it straightens up the two pieces, but another way is to use a long straight edge (a level works well) to make sure the two tracks are in alignment.  The Festool ones are a bit dodgy in this respect and not up to par with the rest of their system.  The Betterly track connectors are much better, but I'm not sure if they're compatible with the Dewalt tracks.

I think its just a standard t groove that most companies use for their track. DeWALT does offer a track connector but I don't think I will need one for now at least. I got the 104 in track to rip down plywood the long way. I also got the 59 in one to rip the plywood the short way. 

10 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

Has anyone used the Maffel tracks? From what I read they use a different design than Festool and its supposed to be easier and more accurate to join the tracks.

I cannot remember who, one of our guys bought the 18v Bosch track saw with the Bosch rails which are Mafell. I want to say @overanalyze or @rrich1 but I cant remember. 

6 hours ago, ChrisK said:

I cannot remember who, one of our guys bought the 18v Bosch track saw with the Bosch rails which are Mafell. I want to say @overanalyze or @rrich1 but I cant remember. 

I'm considering the Mafell, but it seems like the longest track available in the states is 61in. I would want at least a 100in track for sheet goods.

2 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

I'm considering the Mafell, but it seems like the longest track available in the states is 61in. I would want at least a 100in track for sheet goods.

1 hour ago, rrich1 said:

I wish it was me! I keep trying to get it off amazon uk but they wont ship it. :( 

Look into Axminster tools in the U.K. if your serious about getting the Bosch. The pound exchange is still high in the U.K. Favor however if you want one it's best to go there.

As far as Mafell there is a seller on EBay that sells from out of cou try the 110v Mafells cheaper than Toolnut and Timberwolf and they require little retrofitting for USA use.

32 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Look into Axminster tools in the U.K. if your serious about getting the Bosch. The pound exchange is still high in the U.K. Favor however if you want one it's best to go there.

As far as Mafell there is a seller on EBay that sells from out of cou try the 110v Mafells cheaper than Toolnut and Timberwolf and they require little retrofitting for USA use.

I think I am going to hold off for now. That is getting into festool territory I believe from the last time I looked to have it shipped here. The Triton track saw looks nice and is available locally to me as well as festool. I have been happy with my triton router so far. 

8 minutes ago, rrich1 said:

I think I am going to hold off for now. That is getting into festool territory I believe from the last time I looked to have it shipped here. The Triton track saw looks nice and is available locally to me as well as festool. I have been happy with my triton router so far. 

Yeah the Triton is a no brainer, I'd go with that