Issues with PS22 12V hex driver

D W

I have a brand new 12V PS22 (or GSR 10.8V-EC HX) that randomly stops working. Sometimes the light continues to work (but doesn't spin), other times no light or spinning at all. It has both stopped while driving (suddenly cuts out), and on the next pull of the trigger.

I'm not really sure what fixes it but it does eventually start working again. I think removing the battery a few times helps, but never immediately. 

Any thoughts? Loose connection? Bad connection with battery? Bad electronics? I ordered it from Korea so I don't know if warranty will be covered in Australia. 

I'm annoyed about this. I had my Metabo 18V full size recip saw fail last week (pull trigger and nothing), and now another issue with a brand new brushless tool (add this to the list of other new brushless tools I have issues with).

I've been super busy with work and a baby over the last 12 months so I've hardly used any of these tools. I'm only a DIY user, so If any of you guys that rely on tools daily to earn a living are constantly having issues like I am, it must be absolutely infuriating!

I just want to be confident the next time I pick up a tool the damn thing will work properly! Is that unreasonable? :angry:

Update: after it stopped working last time, I left the battery in and let it sit for a while. It works again now. It was sitting for about 30 minutes before I tried it again. 

Could it be some sort of safety protection? 

If so, I don't understand why. It stops working without actually putting any load on it. 

I'm using a 1.3ah battery. 

I used to get the exact same thing with my bosch gdx -vec it would all of a sudden do exactly what you have described but if I put it down and left it for 1 minute it would start again ! Also I sold that and bought the gdr-vec which did exactly the same and what it was is the tools electronics was kicking in the circuit protection and just getting a bit confused and then sorting its self out but this only happens on brushless bosch tools and with mine there was a trick to get it going take the battery off and put another on and the drill starts working again and then I put the original battery back on and it works fine still.
By the way I did notice it only happened when the battery dropped a light on the fuel gauge ! And it wasn’t a battery issue as I sold my gdx to my friend and the problem continued with him too using his batteries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Craigh9916 said:

I used to get the exact same thing with my bosch gdx -vec it would all of a sudden do exactly what you have described but if I put it down and left it for 1 minute it would start again ! Also I sold that and bought the gdr-vec which did exactly the same and what it was is the tools electronics was kicking in the circuit protection and just getting a bit confused and then sorting its self out but this only happens on brushless bosch tools and with mine there was a trick to get it going take the battery off and put another on and the drill starts working again and then I put the original battery back on and it works fine still.
By the way I did notice it only happened when the battery dropped a light on the fuel gauge ! And it wasn’t a battery issue as I sold my gdx to my friend and the problem continued with him too using his batteries!

Thanks for the info. Now that you've mentioned the drop in one light on the fuel gauge, i'm 99% certain that's when mine started doing it as well! I'm still on the first charge with this thing.

Thanks for the info. Now that you've mentioned the drop in one light on the fuel gauge, i'm 99% certain that's when mine started doing it as well! I'm still on the first charge with this thing.

Yes keep an eye out for that and see if it does that , also try swapping the battery like I said as that used to get mine going again

• Like 1

I've found this thread but haven't read the whole thing yet. It's indicating possible issues with the 1.3ah batteries. 

https://www.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/community/category/108v-battery-question/382600-t/p9#/main

It was the multitool damaging the batteries , the 1.3 Ah batteries are fine I have plenty and never had one fail !
On the bosch forum the largest thread is the one about the batteries failing and all the response points to the multitool damaging them

• Like 1

hey mate, it sounds the sounds of it the trigger might be playing up, i had the same issue with one my 18v gdx. I had a chat with the guy who repaired it at the shop and he said its quite common with brushless tools across all brands. hey explained it like the trigger in brushless impactors and drills act sort of like a fuse because the motors are pretty bulletproof. 

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me more about the chuck on this thing?

Mine doesn't seem to hold buts very well (unless i'm doing it wrong).

If I load a bit so the ball bearing inside the chuck is sitting in the grove on a 1 inch bit or within the indented section on a 2 inch bit (this is how you load them isn't it?), then when any pressure is put on the bit it will slip and go inside the chuck (with almost none of the driving end being left exposed with the 1 inch bits). It's supposed to take 1 inch bits I believe.

Basically I have to use 50mm bits and insert them all the way into the chuck until the bit hits the end.

1 hour ago, kornomaniac said:

That's the way it should work. Can't put 25mm bits straight into an impact/hex driver. Use 50mm bits ( which have the larger indent at the back )

Some reviews and online videos mention that it can take 25mm bits. Bosch even has this photo on their website. It's misleading. The chuck is too deep for them.

PS22B_35_400x300(4).jpg

2 hours ago, kornomaniac said:

That's indeed rather misleading id say 

I don't think 25mm bits exist that have the bigger indent right ? :)

No as far as I know they don't, but I'm talking about the small thin grooves that are usually on each of the 6 corners of a 25mm hex bit. Different to the longer bits with the single large indent that goes all the way around.

This is apparently supposed to hold both types, and the locking pin/ball bearing inside the chuck is positioned in one of the corners so it does hold the 25mm bits, just like in the photo, but you can't put too much pressure on the bit or it will slip and go deeper into the chuck.

I just looked up the user manual and it states that "One inch bits should only be used along with a bit holder".

I guess that's the answer. But there's more photos:

images-4.jpg

s-l400.jpg

Edited by D W
Added "apparently"

21 minutes ago, kornomaniac said:

Those small grooves ( as far as I know ) where never meant to be held in the hex bit holder.

I think Bosch marketing with their pictures got Abit out of hand :/

Thanks Korno.

The chuck on the ps22 is strange. It's much deeper than the impact drivers I've used. Actually, that era for Bosch is strange (bad ergonomics on 18V grips and no rubber over mold for example). 

A 30mm or 35mm bit would be needed to work like the ones in the photos above. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi DW

i had the same issue with my 18v gdr-ec 1/4 impact driver. I ordered it from Korea as well. After the first week of use I wasn’t happy with the jumping of the bits in the collet. And after numerous emails to the company I purchased it off, that provided no help. I fixed it my self. I cut down a 1/4 bit too around 1/4 inch in length ( might need a bit of adjustment to suit yourself. I also drilled a hole in it and threaded it so I could take it back out if needed. I haven’t had to. !)and slipped that in to the collet. So far it has worked perfect. No more of the bit jumping back out of the screw. I use it every day at work. So it is put to the test. Battery life is very good. I also have had issues with it randomly stopping. Never under load. Just you would pick it up and no go. Leave it for 2 mins and away you go. Have had this issue with a few brushless. 

Hioe or this helps. Thank you

• Like 1

Thanks @Blendz that's a good idea. That's exactly all it needs, I think I'll give that a go!

The stopping issue has really slowed down for me lately. It hasn't happened for 2 weeks now which is great. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, D W said:

Thanks @Blendz that's a good idea. That's exactly all it needs, I think I'll give that a go!

The stopping issue has really slowed down for me lately. It hasn't happened for 2 weeks now which is great. 

Glad it’s happening less. That’s really unfortunate. I own  bunch of different Bosch brushless and have never had an issue with any. I use my ps22 every day and it’s been great so far. 

Also, mine does work as expected with 25mm bits. The chuck is just deep enough to hold them about the same is a bit holder or just like the Bosch images. 

I have a ps42 impact I got from Korea a few years ago and it’s chuck is as you describe, being a little too deep. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XTsallaD said:

mine does work as expected with 25mm bits. The chuck is just deep enough to hold them about the same is a bit holder or just like the Bosch images. 

I have a ps42 impact I got from Korea a few years ago and it’s chuck is as you describe, being a little too deep. 

Thanks for that info. Strange that they could have different depth chucks. It seems hard to believe they wouldn't notice something like that during manufacturing or from years of customer feedback. Unless they are meant to be this way for the Korean market. Mine is actually a GSR-10,8 V-EC HX, I just say ps22 because it's easier.

What year was your ps22 and ps42 manufactured? Mine says "Made in Malaysia 2017". The chuck is exactly 25mm (1 inch deep) and the ball bearing thing that clamps down on the bits is 5mm from the front of the chuck.

Both made in Malaysia, I have the ps22 onsite for one of my jobs but will look tomorrow. I think it’s 2014 or possibly ‘15.

The impact is also the gdr ‘professional’ and is 2015.

That’s unfortunate about the chuck on your new driver. I wonder if you could get a replacement from Bosch? 

• Like 1