The Tool(s) That Started It All

fm2176

Please share stories of the power tool or tools that started you down the path to borderline fanaticism.  These might be the first power tools you owned, your initial investment in a brand that a stranger would think sponsors you nowadays, and/or simply an impactful (no pun intended) tool that piqued your interest in power tools in general.

The tool that started it all for me was a Black & Decker Ranger drill with UniVolt batteries and charger.  I used it as a young 17-year-old prepping gutters and still own the drill today, though naturally the twenty-some-odd year old batteries no longer charge.  This was my first foray into the world of cordless tools, though, a world which I am now immersed in.

My second tool is actually a kit, which came with a Dewalt DCD795 drill and DCF886 impact driver.  Until this purchase I relied on some aging Porter Cable tools, but this kit was the gateway for my rapid expansion into DeWalt 20v Max.  At the time I felt like I had money to burn; living rent free and attending Drill Sergeant School, I added a grinder, vacuum, string trimmer, blower, and multiple batteries by the time I graduated six weeks later.  

An honorable mention would have to be the Milwaukee Fuel D-handle rotary hammer; despite passing up a number of other red tools previously, this had a price that screamed "just buy me".  Since then I've added a couple more Fuel tools and some lights, with a few more purchases on the horizon.

• Like 1

I don’t qualify as a tool fanatic really, but when I was 10 or so my dad bought a Black and Decker jigsaw. I have no idea what he actually bought it for, but like most of the tools he bought I ended up being the one that used it all the time. My first “project” with the thing was cutting out rubber band guns to look like in the Robotech cartoon.

• Like 1

My first power tool was the entry level 20v max brushed compact drill and impact kit from DeWALT. I got it a few years ago. I have since parted ways with the kit and upgraded to the Flexvolt DCD996/DCF887 kit. I have since gotten 4 other Flexvolt kits, a couple more 20v max tools, and a handful of tough system. People would probably think DeWALT is my favorite brand or something. At one time that may have been so, but I do not feel that is the case anymore. Last year I got the Festool bug. It is great. I got a couple tools from Festool and I am not looking back. I plan to get more. I feel drawn towards Makita and wouldn't mind trying out some Makita in the future.

• Like 1

Mine Started back in 97 the year my father past away I was only 12 at the time. My father was an electrician by trade but he was also a jack of all trades and an inventor as such, always coming up with theses crazy mad ideas. His last project was a grandfather clock that he made only using hand tools I still dont know where the clock is to this day. I remember one day when his was in his last few weeks of descent health we were cleaning up the workshop and he handed me his most used screwdriver the one he always uses. Obviously at the time I was just excited I got a tool to keep but now knowing he was passing something onto me to remember him by, I guess that's where my love for tools came from.

Where does the time go.

• Like 2

For me it wasn’t really a single tool ... more of ..... just needing more and more tools

Many years ago I worked in car audio .... so the Mac & Snap on trucks would always come by ...... My dad retired early and worked part time in sears .... I had a ton of craftsman !!😀😀😀😀 that fed my addiction ...

• Like 1

I used to always buy cheap hand tools and never gave much thought to using them. I've never owned cordless tools before. Since about 2015, somehow, I've gotten the tool bug.

My first cordless was a Bosch PS31 12V brushed drill and impact driver combo. Next it was a few 18V Metabo tools. The OMT got me into Dewalt 20V, and the TD170 impact driver got me into Makita 18V. I mostly have Dewalt 20V now. Makita and Dewalt are great tools! 

I recently won an ebay auction for a used Bosch 18V charger, so soon I'll probably end up with a few of their tools too (the DDS183 drill in particular). 

I'm also a big fan of high quality hand tools. I have some Stahlwille, NWS, Knipex, Grip-on, and Facom.

Tools and DIY are probably the only hobby I have now. I'm always looking for jobs to do with them. 

I remember my first tool set, bought by a friend of the family (Who was a contractor) when I was like 5 for Christmas. It had real pliers, screwdrivers, a saw, a little hammer. I think I still have some of the pieces. I still use the hammer when I need a small hammer. I used those tools all the time to help my Dad in the garage.