Table saw decision

Until70

Hi, I am new to this forum and hoping for some advice.

I have 2 Craftsman table saws and only using 1 now, which is a 10”, 1hp. The other (#113.24250), is a 12”, 15amp 240v, and it doesn’t say how much hp it is. They both have exact same table and fence. Is it worth running power for the 12”, 240v motor. I am just not sure if that saw would be better.

thanks for your help. Steve

Welcome to the forum.

A 240V / 15A motor is going to be about 3½ horsepower or greater, depending upon motor-specific parameters.

The 12" saw w/ ~3½hp is going to be better that a 10" saw w/ 1hp, assuming both are working properly.

Agree that it would be disappointing to wire for the saw only to discover it is dead. 

An "easy" way to test is to use the electric dryer connection and change the receptacle to permit a quick test w/o a huge effort and commitment.

FWIW, all my table saws have been 10". My guess is the 12" is better, but possibly higher costs for things like blades and accessories.

• 1 year later...

I also wanna ask a question. It is a 15A saw & comes from the factory wired for 120V. I read simple instructions for rewiring it from here for 240V (which means it would draw 7.5A) This seems desirable to me since the greater voltage (and reduced draw) would seem to make for better performance.

What would be the drawbacks of switching it over to 240? The main issue I see is that the saw has a normal 3 prong 15A plug – while this poses no problem for wiring an outlet for 240 & plugging it in, I’d be concerned that someone might plug some other appliance into the outlet & fry their equipment – is it a simple issue of labeling the outlet as 240V? I’d wire a single dedicated outlet in this case…

There is virtually zero benefit for correctly effecting the requested saw voltage change.

Assuming that the shop is correctly wired, w/ NEMA 5-15 (15A 120VAC) receptacles, or NEMA 5-20 (20A 120VAC receptacles), then the saw will be "happy" running at maximum load all day long.

If I were to effect this change then I would swap the saw plug to a NEMA 6-15 plug and place a properly wired NEMA 6-20 (20A 240VAC) receptacle, some might opt for a NEMA 6-15 (15A 240VAC) receptacle.

That change would halve the current and the saw would continue to operate properly w/ virtually zero effect on performance.

Never, ever, ever, incorrectly wire a 120VAC receptacle for 240VAC!

On a related topic, when I was correcting / updating all the wiring on my 1963 home, there was a dedicated, degraded living room receptacle that was clearly used for a long gone wall unit AC. The wall had long ago been sealed at that location. That 240VAC / 20A / 12AWG was wired to an unrecognizable single NEMA 6-20 receptacle. My upgrade was to swap that to a standard NEMA 5-20 duplex receptacle, wired to a 120VAC 20A panel breaker and properly change the insulation color code from red / red to black / white.

NEMA_simplified_pins.svg

• Like 1