Modifying 20v tools for flexvolt

Meatball

Has anyone tried this or seen any instances of it?

My 20v vacuum is dead - I think because the motor died. I love this nifty little tool for daily around the house jobs so I figured, 'why not juice it up?'

I can replace the motor with something higher rated, confirm the electronics can handle the higher voltage, and verify the contacts are set up to take advantage of flexvolt and modify them as needed. In theory, it should work, right?

9 hours ago, Meatball said:

Has anyone tried this or seen any instances of it?

My 20v vacuum is dead - I think because the motor died. I love this nifty little tool for daily around the house jobs so I figured, 'why not juice it up?'

I can replace the motor with something higher rated, confirm the electronics can handle the higher voltage, and verify the contacts are set up to take advantage of flexvolt and modify them as needed. In theory, it should work, right?

Theoretically, this should work.  A 54v motor, some fairly simple calculations and confirmation that the higher voltage won't fry anything, and your vacuum may live again.  Then again, I don't know what kind of electronics are inside the vacuums.  I have both 20v Max wet/dry vacuums (DCV580 and DCV517).  Both are great little machines, though I've recently used the M18 vacuum a bit more.