Milwaukee drill

Mandie

Welcome to the forum. 

fm2176 is correct. The old style brush motor tools permitted visible observation of sparks through the side openings.

That Milwaukee M18 Li-Ion drill is brushless and should not spark.

It is a brushless motor, so it is impossible for the brushes (that don't exist) to spark. It sounds like maybe the trigger switch is sparking.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mandie said:

How do I know if it’s brushed it’s the m12 18c model? 

I'm not familiar with that model number...a search pulls up a charger.  If it's the 3/8" model 2407, then it's brushed.  If it says "FUEL" on it (or "Brushless", though I don't think any M12 tools use this designation), then Wingless is 100% correct.  If this is the case, a loose wire or faulty trigger could be causing the issue.

Most of my tools are brushless, so the sparks emitted by my brushed tools (including the 2407) are noticeable.  They should not be a concern, though.  In the days of yore, people kept their corded brushed tools going for decades by maintaining them and replacing the brushes every so often.  When I was a forklift technician, replacing the motor brushes was one of the routine repairs for electric fork trucks.

Edit: Here is a picture of the data plate for my brushed M12 drill.

IMG_20210302_141007.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's good that you didn't get a defective one.  Also, one thing that we Americans forget is the international makeup of these forums; I see that your husband's drill is a European model, which has different model numbers than what we get over here.

Best of luck with future tool purchases, and please feel free to ask any other questions you might have on these forums!

2 hours ago, wingless said:

Welcome to the forum. 

fm2176 is correct. The old style brush motor tools permitted visible observation of sparks through the side openings.

That Milwaukee M18 Li-Ion drill is brushless and should not spark.

It is a brushless motor, so it is impossible for the brushes (that don't exist) to spark. It sounds like maybe the trigger switch is sparking.

Hi I’ve double checked and the model is M18 BDD M18 BPD and it is a brushed model