Pressure washing business

S4M31

Hi! I was looking to start a real pressure washing business in a couple years, I currently have a small gas unit that I use to do work for friends and around the neighborhood, but I would like to start a real professional pressure washing business. I do a lot of research and planning way in advance, so that's why I'm already looking around. I think I will start off with a 4000 psi 3.5 gpm pressure washer with a Honda gx270. The problem is, Dewalt and Simpson both make that exact model, and they are both made by Simpson, just rebranded. I would just like to know based on anyone's experience which company has better customer service and warranty. Also, I live in an area that has storm drains that lead directly to the river, and most driveway drains lead to backyard creeks. Would it still be ok to use chemicals like bleach? And would it be diluted enough to not poison anything once it reached the creeks? Any advice helps!

Welcome to the forum.

The 4,000 psi 3.5 gpm pressure washer w/ Honda engine and CAT pump I have used for well over a decade on home usage has been a problem free workhorse, with one exception. The wheels have hubs attached by welding to the face. That weld has broken twice, requiring wheel assembly replacement. Mine is a Northern Tool device. Mine is functionally similar to this device.

IMO bleach is not required for pressure washing. Water at this pressure doesn't need bleach.

If bleach is going to be used then a 2-3 gallon hand pump dispenser is a good option. This is likely for spot or area treatment and runoff will be very extremely localized, if at all.

Note that the optional CAT turbo nozzle is the best / only attachment that I use. I have fingers remaining when I manually count the other nozzles that I have used.

Thanks for the reply! It seems as if the 4,000 psi 3.5 gpm Dewalt pressure washer now uses a AAA triplex pump, only the 4,200 psi 4.0 gpm has the CAT pump. I don't really want a machine that big quite yet. I don't know if they stopped making the lower level one with the CAT pump. Have you ever use the AAA triplex pumps? And are they any good? Also, if bleach isn't needed at this high pressure, I probably won't use it. Are there any other key chemicals you use? Or do you just use cold water? Also, do you just use a turbo nozzle, or do you also use a surface cleaner to add to that? Thanks

12 minutes ago, wingless said:

Welcome to the forum.

The 4,000 psi 3.5 gpm pressure washer w/ Honda engine and CAT pump I have used for well over a decade on home usage has been a problem free workhorse, with one exception. The wheels have hubs attached by welding to the face. That weld has broken twice, requiring wheel assembly replacement. Mine is a Northern Tool device. Mine is functionally similar to this device.

IMO bleach is not required for pressure washing. Water at this pressure doesn't need bleach.

If bleach is going to be used then a 2-3 gallon hand pump dispenser is a good option. This is likely for spot or area treatment and runoff will be very extremely localized, if at all.

Note that the optional CAT turbo nozzle is the best / only attachment that I use. I have fingers remaining when I manually count the other nozzles that I have used.

YW.

No idea on other pressure washers.

My speculation is they are now calling the identical machine as a 4,200 psi where my older machine was called a 4,000 psi, using the same engine and same pump. 

Mine has an inline pressure gauge I added and it always showed over 4,000 psi.

Yes, I only use turbo nozzle. Yes, I never use chemicals, just cold water. There are zero chemicals required that will remove something from a surface that won't come off w/ 4,000 (4,200) psi and a turbo nozzle.

Note that a turbo nozzle is a pinpoint jet nozzle that rapidly spins on a small arc.

It will blast anything / everything off the surface.

Does your machine have a gx390? Because it would make a lot of sense if they just changed the pressure rating. I think I will get a surface cleaner, because it makes it go much faster, but I will also definitely get a turbo nozzle too. I'm still torn between the Simpson and Dewalt, they are like Identical machines. Here are the links if you wanted to take a look at them.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-4000-PSI-at-3-5-GPM-Gas-Pressure-Washer-Powered-by-Honda-with-AAA-Triplex-Pump-California-Compliant-60895/305967700

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SIMPSON-PowerShot-PS60869-4000-PSI-at-3-5-GPM-HONDA-GX270-Cold-Water-Pressure-Washer-PS60869/312241124

• 2 months later...