Dewalt cordless screwdriver.

Captorofsin

I have  8 volt cordless gyroscopic screwdriver (please link below). I have had this screwdriver since 7/2019. 

It seems less powerful and also seems like going thru batteries (a lot more than before). How long do these usually last? 

I cannot tell it is:

Because the  motor is older (has been used several times a day for the last two years) and requires more current (from battery) to perform (which causes the battery to drain q=more often)

or 

If batteries can no longer hold a load. Seems like both batteries would "crap out" at roughly the same time.

I have entertained the idea of a Milwaukee cordless screwdriver. Just that I like the gyro in the Dewalt and the Milwaukee is 4 volts (vs the 8 volt Dewalt).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-8-Volt-MAX-Cordless-Gyroscopic-Screwdriver-with-Adjustable-Handle-1-1-0Ah-Battery-Charger-Bag-DCF680N1/205110459

Any input would be appreciated 

I could very well be the batteries.  If you've been using the screwdriver daily for two years, they might be getting close to their charge cycle limit.  I have two of these screwdrivers, with the two batteries that came in my first kit (found it on clearance for $35 at the PX, and later found a bare tool for about $20).  I don't use mine daily, though.

It seems that a new battery is under $30:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-8-Volt-MAX-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Pack-1-0Ah-DCB080/204475930.  Since you use your gyro screwdriver so often, it may be worth the investment to pick one up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

DeWalt sent me a brand new replacement. worked intermittently. found that the contacts (inside the screwdriver handle) were not making good contact with battery. Had to (ironically) use a hand held screwdriver to bend the contacts (inside the handle) so would get a solid contact. I have noticed the DeWalt is not as good quality since black and decker took over.  Just hate to spend 300.00 on a Milwaukee when the DeWalt only cost 80.00

For the price ($80 vs. $300), why not just work around the issue.  Hopefully bending the battery contacts worked, and my philosophy is to use something until it is unusable.  Admittedly, I will get a bit abusive if something disappoints, and have been known to toss or otherwise beat up a tool that isn't performing to expectations.  I think that goes back to my primitive mechanic's sensibilities: if it isn't working right, beat it until it does.  🙂

Seriously, though, unless you really need on-demand performance with zero issues, keep the DeWalt and save your money.  I don't know what kind of work you do, but maybe also consider stepping up to a 12v (10.8v) screwdriver.  I don't have the M12 version but can vouch that both the non-Fuel and Fuel versions of their drills and drivers are good at what they do.  I do have the DeWalt 12v Max screwdriver (brushed, haven't bought the Xtreme version yet) and it's been a favorite of mine for when I need more power than the 8v Max.  My DeWalt gyro drivers see almost exclusive use for receptacle/switch covers, battery compartment screws, and other small electrical jobs.