How do 60v flex volt batteries work?

65refinyellow

Simply put, a mechanical switch that changes the battery cells from a parallel to a series connection, allowing a FlexVolt 6Ah pack to change to 60v Max voltage with 2 Ah.  Check out ToolGuyd's Q&A thread for detailed information.

Unfortunately, the 20v Max batteries do not work in FlexVolt tools.  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, fm2176 said:

Simply put, a mechanical switch that changes the battery cells from a parallel to a series connection, allowing a FlexVolt 6Ah pack to change to 60v Max voltage with 2 Ah.  Check out ToolGuyd's Q&A thread for detailed information.

Unfortunately, the 20v Max batteries do not work in FlexVolt tools.  

I love things to be versatile and flexvolt is almost perfect but the whole company would do better imho if 20v batteries worked in flexvolt tools.

In my lineup I am glad that I have a few dual M12/M18 chargers but I wished they were one battery with maybe a 12 v option and 18 v option. Yes I understand that a M12 battery in the same form and plug factor wouldn’t run my bigger M18 tools to their capacity but having multiple voltages in a single battery housing would make Milwaukee perfect.

18 hours ago, 65refinyellow said:

In my lineup I am glad that I have a few dual M12/M18 chargers but I wished they were one battery with maybe a 12 v option and 18 v option. Yes I understand that a M12 battery in the same form and plug factor wouldn’t run my bigger M18 tools to their capacity but having multiple voltages in a single battery housing would make Milwaukee perfect.

DeWalt really missed out on building their 12v Max system, which was released around the same time as M12 if I'm not mistaken.

The biggest problem with trying to make a combination 12v/20v (10.8v/18v) battery is the number of cells each voltage requires.  A 12v/24v system would be possible, but having a 24v battery housing would limit the size and versatility of compatible 12v tools.  In my opinion, FlexVolt has it about right: 60v or even 120v for large stationary tools, while also giving the user the option of using those larger batteries in their handheld tools if needed for additional runtime or if their smaller batteries are drained near the end of the day.  

Going back to DeWalt: unlike Milwaukee, DeWalt developed their 12v Max batteries to use a similar interface to 20v Max, making them compatible with most of their chargers.  Additionally, they released some dual 12v/20v products, mainly radios but also the USB adapter.  I can use my ToughSystem radio with a 12v Max 1.3Ah battery or with a 20v Max 5Ah with the only difference being runtime (unfortunately, larger batteries such as FlexVolt do not fit in the original TS radio).

DeWalt released the original 12v Max tools in the early 2010s, then let the line grow dormant with the occasional laser level release and zero battery upgrades.  Meanwhile, M12 grew into the largest and most popular 10.8v class system in the US.  Now DeWalt seems to want in on that market, but the Xtreme line is hardly competition for M12.  I own a number of both M12 Fuel and Xtreme tools, and the tradeoffs don't really make any one tool stand out over its counterpart.  What does stand out is the fact that Milwaukee offers a lot more tools and larger batteries.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, fm2176 said:

DeWalt really missed out on building their 12v Max system, which was released around the same time as M12 if I'm not mistaken.

The biggest problem with trying to make a combination 12v/20v (10.8v/18v) battery is the number of cells each voltage requires.  A 12v/24v system would be possible, but having a 24v battery housing would limit the size and versatility of compatible 12v tools.  In my opinion, FlexVolt has it about right: 60v or even 120v for large stationary tools, while also giving the user the option of using those larger batteries in their handheld tools if needed for additional runtime or if their smaller batteries are drained near the end of the day.  

Going back to DeWalt: unlike Milwaukee, DeWalt developed their 12v Max batteries to use a similar interface to 20v Max, making them compatible with most of their chargers.  Additionally, they released some dual 12v/20v products, mainly radios but also the USB adapter.  I can use my ToughSystem radio with a 12v Max 1.3Ah battery or with a 20v Max 5Ah with the only difference being runtime (unfortunately, larger batteries such as FlexVolt do not fit in the original TS radio).

DeWalt released the original 12v Max tools in the early 2010s, then let the line grow dormant with the occasional laser level release and zero battery upgrades.  Meanwhile, M12 grew into the largest and most popular 10.8v class system in the US.  Now DeWalt seems to want in on that market, but the Xtreme line is hardly competition for M12.  I own a number of both M12 Fuel and Xtreme tools, and the tradeoffs don't really make any one tool stand out over its counterpart.  What does stand out is the fact that Milwaukee offers a lot more tools and larger batteries.

I like my M12 tools even more than my M18 tools. But I am not a fan of how tight the batteries are on either platform. I much prefer the overall experience with Makita LXT and to me there’s no comparison.

I got my brother started in DeWalt mostly because they’re as good as the other two main pro companies but in my very rural area, they’re the most accessible in small hardware stores.

They don’t push huge purchases like Milwaukee does on their vendors thus why I see Milwaukee most at Home Depot.

The batteries can be hard to remove from some tools, especially the M12 batteries, with their push tab retainers.

DeWalt has a much wider accessibility, due to their presence in both smaller stores and at all of the big box home improvement retailers.  I have seen some impressive Milwaukee tool displays, including one at a hardware store in Leesburg, GA (near the old project house), but most stores dedicate equal or more space to DeWalt, at least in my experience wandering around the Southeast.

I don't have Makita (yet?) but have been tempted a few times.  I've heard a lot of good things about their tools, but I might be covered with what I currently own...until I find a Makita kit on deep clearance at Home Depot. 😀

• Like 1