Is it possible to make the router plate hole bigger on 18V makita router?

michaeltenerife

Normally I’d say ream it out but…those little palm routers are designed for smaller bits and get out of control with a wider diameter bit. Plus making the base plate hole larger doesn’t increase the size of the base which could make it more dangerous to handle with a larger bit. Hope this helps! Chris

So without trying too hard to sound like a dolt…I don’t know. I have  compact Dewalt trim router but most of my routers are larger, Festool Bosch and PC units. I would gander at this and say for a dust collection shroud? My Festool has something similar to the one pictured. These are normally a slide on and turn unit that you can then attach a hose but I don’t have this particular router

I would just use a larger router designed for larger bits. I learned a long time ago that it’s not always wise to make a tool a Jack of all Trades. Secondly, god forbid something happens and you have no financial recourse because you altered the tool from its intended limits.

As a firefighter, I always err on the side of caution.

• 5 months later...