Unknown planer

Stephen88

10 hours ago, Stephen88 said:

Could it be a non commercial model not for sale to the general public?

That is unlikely.

My initial pass through that site did not locate a complete match. That site has documents posted by people like me working to provide a useful perpetual repository for others.

It may be the desired document exists but has not be properly identified in the opening page.

It may be that the exact document has not been posted, but that a document for a similar model has been posted that will provide utility. As an example the document for the 18" planer may have utility for your 16" planer.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, wingless said:

What is the safety concern w/ this machine?

I don't think at the time it was made the brands were considering safety issues as the do now. This looks like from 1950s. 

4 hours ago, Stephen88 said:

New Jersey. I use a 1938 jointer. Very safe. I have no problem using old machines. In fact I prefer them. 

I prefer also old machines that are made between 1990 to 2005, or in rare cases some from 1980s. but I would not go further. 

3 hours ago, Altan said:

I don't think at the time it was made the brands were considering safety issues as the do now. This looks like from 1950s. 

Thanks for the clarification.

A check / comparison to this new Grizzly planer shows the expected electrical control deficiencies on the old versus new. That includes the easy access big red mushroom off switch and logic to prevent automatic restart when interrupted power is restored.

Nothing else jumped out to me. Anything else that should be identified?

7 hours ago, wingless said:

Thanks for the clarification.

A check / comparison to this new Grizzly planer shows the expected electrical control deficiencies on the old versus new. That includes the easy access big red mushroom off switch and logic to prevent automatic restart when interrupted power is restored.

Nothing else jumped out to me. Anything else that should be identified?

What I mean in general I would not look for a tool at this age. I would feel what I do is waste of time mainly. 

I went to carpentry and woodworking school in the 80s. All the machines we used were from the 50s or 60s. Some in the furniture department were even older. Super solid reliable well built machines. Not much has changed in woodworking machines at this level. I’m not talking automation or CNC. It’s the same mechanism be it jointer planer table saw bandsaw etc. This planer has steel rollers that hold the plank in place and move it forward into the cutting head. The knives in the cutting head are secured by multiple screws in a chip breaker. They run in bearings. Everything is driven by belts from electric motors. The table moves up and down with a screw mechanism and is locked in place at the desired height. Exactly like modern machines. But most likely built to higher standards. They are completely safe to use if you know how to operate machinery.