DeWalt air compressor

elginrich

I have a 4 gal. stacked DeWalt air compressor. D55153. It is drawing too much current when it starts. Not the initial start, but after the air pressure drops and it has to refill. It pops the breaker even if it's the only thing on the circuit, no extension cord, and 20a. breaker. Is this thing ruined? Does it need a new electric motor, or the motor rebuilt/ Hope I explained this well enough. Thanks for anyone who can help.

Before you do anything, I would plug the compressor into a different outlet that is attached to a different circuit and see if you get the same result.  I had the same thing happen to me years ago and thought it was the compressor.  Turns out my breaker was faulty, so I just changed the breaker and was good to go.

• 2 weeks later...

OK.  I take it this is an oil-less compressor and you do not see any leaks.  It's weird that it doesn't pop the first time but it will during fill-ups. Let me see what I can find because I am lost why it wouldn't pop the first time on initial start but fill-ups it does.