Ryobi RM480e Won't Stay On

Norm51

Please pardon this post if these symptoms have been diagnosed in a previous thread!!!

I searched the forum before composing this but didn't find anything that fit.

Purchased  my Ryobi RM480e (38" cut) in October, 2017 so, I've gotten a few good years of service out of it with one complete battery change-out and a run-time meter change-out.

Now I have an issue that has me stumped. While mowing a few months ago the mower started running real sluggish then, stopped the blade motors, then the drive motor, and began rapidly clicking the power On & Off. The batteries were fully charged.

I had to push that heavy beast back to the garage with what felt like the drive motor engaged even while off. The drive wheels were NOT freewheeling. Reading other forums I saw where others had main relay failures that cause a similar symptoms of rapidly turning on & off so, I ordered a  Main Relay in hopes of that being the issue I was seeing.

Today, I got out in the garage and changed out the main relay. That DID NOT solve the problem!!!

I'm willing to throw a few more dollars at this but would like to purchase only what I actually need. There aren't any Ryobi Repair shops under 75 miles of me so it'll be DIY.

Anyone here been down this path? Was it the Drive Motor/Transaxle or Drive Controller that solved it?

MyRyobi.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Problem Solved!!!

I parted out the RM480e (keeping wheels, mower deck, electronic modules, batteries, etc.) after I made a good deal on a used RM480ex with less than 100 hrs. on the clock.

I have to give it to Ryobi. They applied Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 24 on every screw - even on the cover parts!!! Whew, that was fun!!!

I also discovered that, even though the part numbers are the same for the chargers that come with both models, the charger ports for the RM480ex is different than for the RM480ex. The charger for the RM480e will NOT charge the RM480ex. I don't know if the reverse is true. I've attached a shot of the two charger connector ends with the one for the "ex" on the left.

Ryobi Chargers.JPG