Bosch GWG 12 V hack?

Lars

Hi.

I use the Bosch GSR 12V-30 with hex shaft sanding pads for sanding in very tight spaces. Even this wonderful little tool on occations turns out to be too large for the job.

I've been looking at the GWG that looks to be even shorter, but it comes with collet chucks in different sizes.

Turning down the hex shaft to the right diameter would still add to the lenght of the tool and possibly rob the project of meaning.

1) Is it possible to hold a standard ¼" hex shaft with one of the collet sizes?

2) If not, would it be possible to "hack" the tool and mount a standard ¼" hex holder instead (and live with the impact on guarantee)?

Thanks for any answers, ideas or hints to a solution, you might offer.

Lars in Denmark

15 hours ago, Lars said:

Hi.

I use the Bosch GSR 12V-30 with hex shaft sanding pads for sanding in very tight spaces. Even this wonderful little tool on occations turns out to be too large for the job.

I've been looking at the GWG that looks to be even shorter, but it comes with collet chucks in different sizes.

Turning down the hex shaft to the right diameter would still add to the lenght of the tool and possibly rob the project of meaning.

1) Is it possible to hold a standard ¼" hex shaft with one of the collet sizes?

2) If not, would it be possible to "hack" the tool and mount a standard ¼" hex holder instead (and live with the impact on guarantee)?

Thanks for any answers, ideas or hints to a solution, you might offer.

Lars in Denmark

If you use a part from another brand DeWALT would not accept to repair under warranty, I am not sure about Bosch though. I took a DeWALT grinder for repair and they told me if the flange nut was going to be replaced by one from another brand it would not be covered under warranty by DeWALT.  

About your issue I really did not get what you want to do. Can you explain better I know both Bosch tools you mentioned here. The first one is made in Malaysia I think and the second one (new grinder) made in China. 

If you want to sand in very tight places you can look for Mirka's baby sanders. But they are expensive.  If you are a regular user it is worth it I think. They use Metabo's old style 12V batteries and  you can have a Metabo drill (old style) similar to the bosch one you already have. 

I am quite good with E6.3 1/4" hex shank products and I might be able to advise you better if you explain better. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2024 at 12:54 AM, Lars said:

@ Altan:

THANKS for the tip. I wasn't aware that Mirka made this small gem.

That's what I'll go for.

Big thumbs up for the advice.

Lars

You are welcome! 

I had my hands on two of these when I was at tool show. They were really nice and I liked them. The brand is Finnish but they are made in China, they told me they use old style Metabo batteries. Metabo's drills with old style 12V batteries are still available and much cheaper of course.