DCD760KL VS BDF452HW

joomla

Hi, just read the Fine Homebuilding tool guide and they are claiming Makita has higher torque. I have hard time believing it.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideArticle.aspx?id=32871

Remember you did the Milwaukee compact test where it shat itself after 5 holes. I wonder how DCD760 will rate with the same bit and material with a compact li-ion. It'll really suck if they current-limited the compact batts to something retarded like 20A. I also found out Sonys have 1000 cycle life as they don't use nanotech.

I post some information regarding that test HERE.

Sony claims 2000 cycle life's from their new LiFePO4 Iron Phosphate.

Lithium iron phosphate battery:

Energy/weight 90-110 Wh/kg

Energy/size 220 Wh/L

Power/weight >3000 W/Kg

Energy/consumer-price $0.50 - $2.00 US$/Wh

Time durability >10 years

[glow=red,2,300]Cycle durability 2000 cycles[/glow]

Nominal Cell Voltage 3.3 V

Like you I've found other site's that show Iron Phosphate to be closer to 1000 cycle life's. I don't need to explain that to you, your the battery expert  ;D.

Dewalt just launched their "Real Story" video on their new compact lithium ion. In the video, they say it's nano-phosphate lithium ion, and that it will get 2000 cycle life's. I don't know if that was part of the script was overlooked, or clever marketing?

Dewalt also rates the DC720KA at 410 UWO and the DCD760KL at 350 UWO. Like you, I don't think the DCD760 has less torque than Makita's BDF452, if it does it's not by much?

product_specs_chart.png

I know for a fact that A123 lose 15% capacity after 1500 cycles and 40% after 2000 if used in a power tool, which is industry standard and is excellent for li-ion. The problem with Sony's 2000 cycle claim is they don't specify the capacity loss. For example Milwaukee claims 2000 cycles, but eMoli spec is 20% after 200 cycles (assuming discharge is 14A), meaning the cells will be dead after 800 cycles.

datasheet for eMolis here (7.5 A discharge)

http://www.molicel.com/hq/product/DM_IMR18650E.pdf

I'm trying to dig up Samsung and Sanyo.

I also noticed eMoli have very high self discharge rate. After a week they lose 40% (if left in a car outside at night).

I also have a logging multimeter now and will be able to chart super accurate self discharge rates.

• 3 months later...

The Power rating doesnt make much sense on DeWalts Specifications Page, the UWO doesnt seem to truly represent the actually torque...if it did the makita would be higher.  That damn plastic makita is haunting me!.  But my 760KL is built way better, and has a higher RPM, better chuck, just pisses me off when the DeWalt stops during a hole saw cut because it doesn't have as much torque and my other guy strolls over and finishes it with that damn makita!!!  DeWalt kinda blew it on the 760KL...they were so close!  Plus it cost me more!  Could have got the makita drill driver and the impact for the the same price as just the DeWalt DCD760KL!  I hope they are not going to become a name company more than a quality one over time.  Size and Weight play into this category too!  Anything over 4lbs in my opinion is in a different category.  I dont know...just bugs me...sorry to vent! 

I work at construction sites building with new residential/commercial/industrial for years.  I can tell you one thing, forget the Makita, it is way overly rated.  You did good buying the DeWalt.  I am starting to see many of the DCD760s at construction sites, and all the guys love them.  I dont own one yet, but I will get a couple this year for sure.  I know you always want the best, I know I do, but you got the best already.  But being at job sites, I have seen the Makita's fail many many times.  I will be honest with you, they (the Makita's) dont stand up to the hard use, they are cheap, they cant withstand a fall, and there are problems with the plastic housing breaking apart in a year of "normal" construction use.  As far as DeWalt, it can take all the abuse that was just mentioned, and it will do it for years.  At job sites 90+% of powertools are DeWalt, but sometimes u do see a few other brands - most of the construction guys I know will tell you to stick with the DeWalt.  Showing up to a construction site with a Makita is like showing up to one in a Honda Ridgeline (truck wannabe), you will be laughed at.

The reason why the DCD760 cant drive the whole saws is not due to torque of the drill its the power from the battery. The drill is packed with lots of torque. The 760 is best for fastenting applications and ergonomics. Slap on a compact nicad or XRP nicad and I'm damn sure you'll rip through the whole saw far faster than the Makita.

Thats whats best about Dewalt, all the batteries work. If one dies when I am working, I can grab any one of the 18V Dewalt batteries 90% of guys have. Makita must have 3 or 4 different types of non compatable batteries. Its seems like Makita is fishing for more sales instead of taking care of its customers.

• 4 weeks later...

Makita must have 3 or 4 different types of non compatable batteries. Its seems like Makita is fishing for more sales instead of taking care of its customers.

Makita just has their lithium ion and NiMh separate.  The lithium ion batteries are interchangeable inside that lineup (at least I know the 3.0 Ah batteries work with the 1.5Ah tools). They're putting all their energy into expanding thier 18V lithium setup.  I can see why, because their 18V NiMh series wasn't anything special.

Archived