What's in Dewalt's 20v max batteries?

Aprelia

I can ask one of my friends if it is ok for him if I open up his battery. He bought a DCD780 with 3.0 A battery a couple of weeks ago after I suggested that tool to him. But not sure if he will like it or not, if it was my drill I would have opened it right now to post some pics. However, I have used the drill and it is a very nice product with a lot of very nice fetures like the magnetic bitholder with space for 2 bits.

Personally I will not invest in the new xr range just because I´ve drill, concrete hammer in the old line and they serve me very well day in and day out.

I can ask one of my friends if it is ok for him if I open up his battery. He bought a DCD780 with 3.0 A battery a couple of weeks ago after I suggested that tool to him.

Please do, it would be awesome if he posts the picture of the cells here.

First off, Hello. I am a long time Dewalt user and bought the 36v combo kit back in 2006-7. It has come to my understanding that the 36v batteries being made as of last year are no longer using a123 cells. They are a "aa" sized sanyo battery with 300mah less.

The big question is why? Cheaper, yes. Weighs more, yes(when both packs are weighed not individual cells).

I understand profit margins, but why would Black and Decker decide to cheapen and lessen the quality of a flagship line. Is there any way to influence corporate that this is the wrong thing to do?

The rc groups have already done the testing for me and I was in the market to replace my batteries. I guess rather than buying the new cheaper quality batteries I should send my 36v off to be rebuilt at less cost than a new battery.

Can someone give me some insight as to why they have made this choice? I dont want to give up on my 36v tools at this time, matter of fact I just purchased the 36 sds drill and I may just send it back, and I bought 2 extra batteries with it. This really makes me upset.

And Dewalt kept the same part number with no designation that they are using less mah batteries.

Please tell me I am missing something.

Based off of my post in the DC9180 topic. If DeWALT made the change, it was during the latter part of 2010. No way to tell unless you take apart the pack.

I am however taking your word that their has actually been a change in the 36v batteries. I have never actually taken one apart.

If DeWALT did make a change to Sony in the 36v batteries, I would not complain. Iron Phosphate is still better than anything currently on the market, as far as Cycle life is concerned.

First off, Hello. I am a long time Dewalt user and bought the 36v combo kit back in 2006-7. It has come to my understanding that the 36v batteries being made as of last year are no longer using a123 cells. They are a "aa" sized sanyo battery with 300mah less.

The big question is why? Cheaper, yes. Weighs more, yes(when both packs are weighed not individual cells).

I understand profit margins, but why would Black and Decker decide to cheapen and lessen the quality of a flagship line. Is there any way to influence corporate that this is the wrong thing to do?

The rc groups have already done the testing for me and I was in the market to replace my batteries. I guess rather than buying the new cheaper quality batteries I should send my 36v off to be rebuilt at less cost than a new battery.

Can someone give me some insight as to why they have made this choice? I dont want to give up on my 36v tools at this time, matter of fact I just purchased the 36 sds drill and I may just send it back, and I bought 2 extra batteries with it. This really makes me upset.

And Dewalt kept the same part number with no designation that they are using less mah batteries.

The 28/36v batteries were launched with A123 26650 cells and for the most part they were good, but there was a lot of returns of new and unopened batteries because one of the cell would self discharge at a higher rate than expected, forcing A123 to refund for all battery packs with this issue, and that the current cell had a higher manufacturing cost, so the switch was made to 18650 cells from A123 (different manufacturing location) and Samsung.  The demand for 28/36v was not really there so that is another reason why 28v has fallen off the lineup; 36v batteries are still in demand and hopefully you will see some new tools.  Yes, Dewalt kept the same part number, and the only way to tell which cells are in there is to open it up or from the serial number.

The 28/36v batteries were launched with A123 26650 cells and for the most part they were good, but there was a lot of returns of new and unopened batteries because one of the cell would self discharge at a higher rate than expected, forcing A123 to refund for all battery packs with this issue, and that the current cell had a higher manufacturing cost, so the switch was made to 18650 cells from A123 (different manufacturing location) and Samsung.  The demand for 28/36v was not really there so that is another reason why 28v has fallen off the lineup; 36v batteries are still in demand and hopefully you will see some new tools.  Yes, Dewalt kept the same part number, and the only way to tell which cells are in there is to open it up or from the serial number.

Thank you for the confirmation. I guess I will just have to give the new batteries a try and hope that their energy density and discharge rates under load are acceptable.

I have heard of the new tools on the drawing board for a year now. I certainly would not mind a xrp 36v battery, or perhaps a chance at buying the bare tools.

I actually had a battery have a couple of cells discharge to low and throw the trouble light on the charger. I brought the individual cells back up to 2.2+ volts(?) and threw the pack back on the charger. It has been over a year now with hard use and no problems.

Any hints as to what tools we may see coming?

Please do, it would be awesome if he posts the picture of the cells here.

Asked him today if it is ok to open up his battery pack and he told me, no problem. Presumably I will meet him in this weekend so I can take a picture of the battery.

Please note ALL the numbers from the cells, if you can.

There are 5 in the compact, and 10 in the full size.

I think you guy's all need to calm down a bit, until all the factual information has been laid out there. I've contacted Sanyo, and Samsung regarding some of these newer cells asking for additional information. I'm not holding my breath, but will wait to see if they pass along any additional information.

I have now emailed picture to Dewalt Dude.

But untill pics comming up this is what I was able to see.

Sanyo

UR18650W2  052A

It was hard to see anything because the colour of the text was very light. I could also read something like this in a different style of letters and numbers but this was vey very hard to see.

OL7WB

There are 5 in the compact, and 10 in the full size.

You misunderstood my request. But thanks for making me laugh, there is no way I could have figured out 3.6v cell configuration in a 18v pack on my own.  :D

I meant part numbers.

I think you guy's all need to calm down a bit, until all the factual information has been laid out there. I've contacted Sanyo, and Samsung regarding some of these newer cells asking for additional information. I'm not holding my breath, but will wait to see if they pBum along any additional information.

First, lol at censoring fail "pBum".

Second, I've seen the specs for 36v pack Samsung cells and they are utter garbage compared to A123. Trust me on this one.

Archived