cdc775

mr wayne

bought this drill kit with impact driver. First time I used the drill, the bit would fall out after drilling in wood. I tightened the bit in the chuck using the motor. This is not the first keyless chuck I have owned. The bit would fall out after each hole I drilled. Is there something wrong with the drill? I'm not very impressed with this new drill right now. Can anyone relate?

bought this drill kit with impact driver. First time I used the drill, the bit would fall out after drilling in wood. I tightened the bit in the chuck using the motor. This is not the first keyless chuck I have owned. The bit would fall out after each hole I drilled. Is there something wrong with the drill? I'm not very impressed with this new drill right now. Can anyone relate?

C'mon I know someone has had this happen before.

Sorry you had that happen.  I have around 30 of the drills currently, which I put out in the field with end users to demo.  They have all been used hard for the past two months (not too long of a time, I know), and am yet to see this happen in any of my units.  It would be my guess that you are experiencing an isolated incident.  I would recommend taking it in and exchanging it for a new one, or going to a service center to have it repaired.

All chucks are secondary, Dewalt does not make them. It happens, I'd just have it swapped out at the service center, or exchange it.

Hey thanks for the reply. I went by a service center here today and you would know it worked fine for him. I did notice that after I tighten the bit I can turn the chuck till it clicks. this seemed to work at the time. Service guy said it is a lock. Guess i'll try this and see if it works out. I ordered this kit from amazon.com. so might be a big mistake to try and return it for another. But thanks again.

Wayne

Just guessing here but I read somewhere that if it is one of those ratcheting chucks (if that’s the right name), using the motor to tighten bits may damage this type of chuck.

I like the ratcheting chucks myself (stopped using the motor to tighten up on these).... I just use the motor to close the chuck where it barely grabs the bit and then turn the chuck by hand counter clockwise and I hear clicks to tighten it up.

edit: i posted before i read your reply... will leave my reply anyway. don't know how to delete posts here.

Archived